7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2012 9:22 AM by rob day

transparency problem in CS6

jageez Level 1

I tried to create a hi-res PDF in CS6 of a page containing a colored oval with a bevel and a drop shadow applied. The result was a flat oval with a drop shadow. I've tried to edit the transparency flattener settings, but it doesn't stick. I saved the file as an IDML and opened it in CS5, which printed the PDF with the bevel/shadow intact.

Am I missing a setting in CS6 or is there an issue here? I'd prefer not to switch between versions, but can't figure it out what's different.

• 1. Re: transparency problem in CS6
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What were your export settings?

Bob

• 2. Re: transparency problem in CS6
            jageez Level 1

The file is CMYK (Mac OSX.6.8). I'm using the same preset as is CS5, derived from the default press quality setting:

General: nothing checked

Compression: Bicubic/300/zip

Marks/bleeds: none

Output: no conversion, no profiles

Advanced: flattener is dimmed at medium res

I tried to change the flattener in the edit menu, but nothing changes. All the settings look the same in both CS5 and CS5, but the PDFs sure don't.

• 3. Re: transparency problem in CS6
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of Acrobat are you exporting to?

Have you tried the pre built press setting?

Bob

• 4. Re: transparency problem in CS6
                jageez Level 1

I tried the built-in Press quality setting -- same result. I'm using Acrobat X (10.1.4).

• 5. Re: transparency problem in CS6
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Advanced: flattener is dimmed at medium res

I tried to change the flattener in the edit menu, but nothing changes. All the settings look the same in both CS5 and CS5, but the PDFs sure don't.

You're not flattening the transparency and you're not including profiles, so there could be a color shift when you view in Acrobat depending on the simulation profile.

If you want flattened CMYK with no profiles try PDF/X-1a, in that case the output intent profile will be used as the simulation profile and there will be no color shift.

If you want live transparency try PDF/X-4.

• 6. Re: transparency problem in CS6
                    jageez Level 1

Rob, I didn't know if flattening or profiles affected the outcome, only guessed about the reasons for the differences in the CS5 and CS6 output. I just wanted the PDF to match the appearance of my ID file.

CS6 output to both PDF/X-1a:2001 and PDF/X-1a:2003 (no conversion/no profiles, flattterer not dimmed, set to high) gave me what I needed. Output to PDF/X-4:2010 (no conversion/no profiles, flattterer dimmed, set to high) was not successful -- no bevel, just the flat shape with the drop shadow.

BTW, I set my defaults to no color conversion and no profiles because that's what most of my printers specify. I'll experiment more with other settings and ask the printers if they will accept files with alternate settings.

Thanks, Bob and Rob, for your quick responses.

Julie

• 7. Re: transparency problem in CS6
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS6 output to both PDF/X-1a:2001 and PDF/X-1a:2003 (no conversion/no profiles, flattterer not dimmed, set to high) gave me what I needed.

When you change the PDF/X-1a preset to no conversion it no longer conforms to the PDF/X-1a standard—when you do that the Standard is set to None.

Same goes for PDF/X-4—you have to set the Standard to None in order to not include profiles.

What's your Transparency Blend Space—it should be CMYK?

BTW, I set my defaults to no color conversion and no profiles because that's what most of my printers specify.

I see this all the time from printers and it indicates that they don't really understand what's happening in the export Output tab. If you leave Color Conversion at Convert to Destination and then keep the destination at the default Document CMYK there won't be a conversion because the source and destination CMYK profile are the same.