2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 10:25 PM by eggheadbooks

Why is ID 5.5 encrypting fonts for ePubs?

eggheadbooks

When exporting to ePub, ID offers the option to "Include Embeddable Fonts." However, for some inexplicable reason, ID is encrpyting some but not all embeddable fonts even though the licence states that embeddable fonts can be embedded in electronic documents.

My document uses Georgia and Courier New. Both are Open Type and listed as embeddable. When exporting to ePub using CS5.5, Georgia is embedded as is but Courier New is embedded and encrypted. This results in a file called "encryption.xml" that hides in the META-INF folder. This encryption file does not cause the file to fail validation -- Sigil, FlightCrew and ePubCheck all passed the file -- but it can cause the ePub to be rejected by some retailers and apparently can wreak havoc in some older ereaders.

The result is that you have either to not embed any fonts (not an option in my book as I use Courier to mimic HTML code) or you have to first remove the encryption.xml file from the archive then edit the ePub to remove the encrypted font and replace it with an unencrypted one.

So question is, why does Adobe encrypt Courier New? And why Courier New but not Georgia?

• 1. Re: Why is ID 5.5 encrypting fonts for ePubs?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Beginning with InDesign CS6, InDesign does not automatically apply font encryption. But font embedding is a complex issue. Here's a YouTube video by Anne-Marie Concepcion that explains some of the issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=_bWXfFsdSYw

• 2. Re: Why is ID 5.5 encrypting fonts for ePubs?
            eggheadbooks Level 1

Thanks. I already understand all of that. But it still does not explain why ID encrypted Courier New. It makes no sense. Both Georgia and Courier New are listed as embeddable in the Windows font folder; so why the different treatment?

According to Adobe, "Fonts with an editable embedding permission can be embedded in electronic documents, and the embedded font can then be used by the recipient of the electronic document to view, print and further edit or modify the text and structure of the document in which it is embedded. These changes or edits can then be saved in the original document. Several fonts in the Adobe Type Library, including all Adobe Originals typefaces, other Adobe-owned typefaces and certain third-party font foundry typefaces, allow for editable embedding."

EPubs are "electronic documents."

However, Courier, but not Courier New, is listed in Adobe's font permission list. Perhaps Courier New is a Microsoft font? Does ID encrypt any font not in its own library even if the font is listed in the fonts folder as embeddable?