4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2012 7:46 PM by seiurus

Clips spontaneously go offline in C5

seiurus Level 1

I use Premiere Pro CS5.  Recently (possibly since I bought and use a new external hard drive to store clips and projects) random clips go offline as the window asking where they are pops up.  No rhyme or reason why this is happening. No changes are made at the time.  It's not a drive going offline because some clips on any of the drives remain normal on the timeline, while others display the red screen of death.  Does anyone know why?

• 1. Re: Clips spontaneously go offline in C5
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>possibly since I bought and use a new external hard drive

The truth is sometimes in the details... so, what are the details of that new drive?

USB-eSata-Firewire connection?

Brand/model drive and drive enclosure?

Do you unplug/replug the drive between editing sessions?

• 2. Re: Clips spontaneously go offline in C5
            seiurus Level 1

Thanks for your reply John,

The drive is a Western Digital MY Book, 1.5 TB external drive.  USB3. I do not plug-unplug between sessions, but I often

turn off all drives after turning off the computer (I have them plugged to power with toggle switches).

I am trying something else now.  I had been using 4 external USB drives all at once, and cobbling files from all of them

for a single project. I have now copy/pasted files from some of the drives and consolidated them onto just one, reimporting

and using files from just two of the drives.  Also, two of the drives were full enough to have generated a red line

on the capacity icon.  I deleted stuff to fix that too.  Maybe that will help. 

Steve Siegel

mobile (305)343-2179

answering service 24/7 (305)865-9861

• 3. Re: Clips spontaneously go offline in C5
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turning the drive off is the same as unplugging... since when you turn the drive back on Windows "sees" it again as "new" hardware

When you turn off/on... does the drive letter ever change?

• 4. Re: Clips spontaneously go offline in C5
                seiurus Level 1

John,

I spent the whole day on the phone with Hewlett Packard over this.  They couldn't figure it out.  Of course their solution to everything is System Recovery.  I finally tried running PPro with the same data from the same hard drive on a different computer.  Same problem!  I changed the USB cable to the external drive and have had no trouble since.  I think you were barking up that tree, so thanks.

Steve Siegel

mobile (305)343-2179

answering service 24/7 (305)865-9861