3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2012 10:53 AM by Steven L. Gotz

Footage? Context Click?

Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK, I just responded to a question and I used the word "footage". I know I have been away a few years, so has anyone come up with a better word for tape based or file based media? Do we just call it media?

I am a little lost here. I suppose I could have used "media" or "content" when I was trying to explain that the procedure depends on what the images look like in the clip. I was explaining that when scaling down 1080p to 720p, an editor might choose to scale it exactly, or might choose to scale it down a little less if the best part of the frame can be shown off better. It depends on the content. Was it terribly old fashioned to say it depends on the footage? Will some of the newer people even really understand that concept? Seriously. And if they do, for how much longer will they?

It sounds funny to me to use "media" when dscribing the content, but using "content" to describe the images in the clip seems a little odd as well.

Also, is it OK to say "Context click" instead of saying "Right click" and ignore the Mac community? Are they used to that, or does it offend them ever so slightly?  What is the right way to do that?

• 1. Re: Footage? Context Click?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I stick to 'footage' and 'right click'. I think (nearly) everybody knows what you are talking about.

'Context click' might be a bit tricky. Not everybody is a computer wizard and also you are also dealing with non native English speaking persons (like myself).

Wikipedia:

In filmmaking and video production, footage is the raw, unedited material as it had been originally filmed by movie camera or recorded by a video camera.

• 2. Re: Footage? Context Click?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I think footage is the right term here.  Media can refer to video, stills, audio, etc.  Footage refers specifically to moving images.

Right click is definitely the right term (and a feature long overdue on a Mac).

• 3. Re: Footage? Context Click?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Thanks Ann.  So I can go back to what was normal for me back in the day without worrying about it. That is very reassuring.

By the way, I have read many of your posts, and I would never have guessed that you were not a native English speaker if you had not mentioned it now and then over the years. I have picked up a couple of extra languages over the course of my lifetime, but just for casual use. And they don't stick in my head after a year or two of disuse. Your English is better than many if not most of the native speakers on this forum.