9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2012 7:21 PM by UlfLaursen

Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64

UlfLaursen Level 2

Hi Guys

I just opgraded my main CS6 rig to a total of 32 GB RAM. This means, that the system has added allocated space for the page file on my system drive, a 128 GB Corsair Pro SSD disc, and I therefor only have 23 GB free.

I was wondering if I could put some or all of it on another, 240 GB SSD I have in my system that I use for PPRO previews, media cache etc. or I should simply upgrade my system drive to the 240 GB version?

I have 2 600 GB WD Raptor 10K rpm drives too, one for media and one for render, could maybe put it there too?

I am a bid unsure how to do this rigth, so any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Ulf

• 1. Re: Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My 3 drive setup is below... with my page/swap file on my 2nd drive

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 70Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 5. Re: Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64
            JFPhoton Level 3

....I am sure soon you will hear from others on this forum more knowledgeable than me....but, from what I've read hear before, to produce the fastest performance with your current  equipment would be to keep your OS and programs only on your current "C" drive. Assuming these SSDs are SATA III for best performance, you would then place a static pagefile at least 1.5x your installed system memory,(at least 48 GB), on the 240GB SSD, along with the previews, cache, and media cache files.

No need to worry about any "SSD reliability" issues on that drive, as all those files can easily be re-created.

Then , for fastest performance, you would create a 2 disk onboard RAID 0 with the two Raptors to place your media on for fastest editing performance. However, you must use an additional disk as the primary  location of your important, original media files.....then, you would copy those onto the RAID for editing speed.

Then, you may either : export to the 240GB SSD for faster export.....then copy those to that new additional 7200 RPM you must buy,or, just export to that new drive directly,( may take a little longer).

Newer Marvell controlled, ( not Sandforce), SSDs are supposedly able to handle "incompressible data", (like digital video files), well, without slowing down during writes. Storage Review and other sites have tested these.....Plextor and Corsair Pro series SSDs look to be the best,but, expensive.  I have NOT had any trouble so far with my SATA II Corsair F120 SSDs....at the time, 2 years ago, that drive was rated as having read and write speeds of over 200MB/sec. My tests showed that to be true. A large,cheap Marvell controlled SSD is the Crucial M4,( just issued new firmware)......it was as low as $339 for a 512GB recently.

In general, you will hear criticism here on using SSDs for video editing. Without using a huge RAID array and expensive controller card....the standard recommendation  for a system like yours is to have a five drive setup.....plus backup. One drive for OS and programs, plus two -2 drive onboard RAID 0 arrays.

Use of a single 7200rpm disk,( at 100-130MB/sec.) can slow you while editing.....hence the fast RAID arrays. Speed of OS drive is not that critical, once the program is up and running....it is your "project" disk speed that is important.

Once re-configured, you should visit the PPBM5 website, and see how your rig does with the benchmark test compared to other setups.

1 person found this helpful
            • 6. Re: Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64
              UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks for this too - great advices here too.

Ulf

• 7. Re: Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Ulf,

While building my new system, but running Windows 8 64 Enterprise, I initially thought to put my static page-file of 24 GB on my D: drive, thinking that would be more than enough with 64 GB memory, but I decided otherwise.

I put a 1 GB static page-file on my C: drive and no page-file on the D: drive. I know, this is contrary to common wisdom, but here are my reasons:

• Windows 8 requires a page-file on the boot disk C: for debug info when getting errors. If it is not found, one will be created for you. Even if you have a page-file on another disk.
                • With 64 GB memory I think the frequency with which I need a page-file is very limited.
                • My C: and D: drives are identical, both Corsair Performance Pro 256 GB SSD's, so there is no performance benefit from putting the page-file on the D: drive.
                • My C: drive only contains around 15 GB of OS & programs, before installing the MC, so what is 1 GB?

With only 32 GB memory as in your case, I would use a 32 GB static page-file but put it on your C: drive if it is an SSD.

• 8. Re: Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64
                  JFPhoton Level 3

.....see!!....I told you someone who knows a lot more than me would have something valuable to say!!   Harm and the other contributors are a great help here for many people.

• 9. Re: Need advice on Page file settings in Windows 7 x64
                    UlfLaursen Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

Ulf,

With only 32 GB memory as in your case, I would use a 32 GB static page-file but put it on your C: drive if it is an SSD.

Thanks Harm - I'll probably upgrade my C-drive to the 256 GB version instead of 128 GB. At the time you recommended me to get the Corsair Pro disc (which is awesome) my regular supplier only had the 128 GB. I'll have a look for the 256 GB version.

/Ulf