14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 5:40 PM by Peter Spier

ID to PDF

brianbaro

I suddenly can't export my (154mb) ID file (CC5.5) to PDF after being able to do so many times previously. I have tried exporting it as a .idml, opening it ID and saving it as a new .indd, then exporting to PDF. Can anyone help please.

• 1. Re: ID to PDF
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens when you export to PDF? Are you exporting to print or interactive? Create a simple file and see if you can export it as PDF: Does it work?

• 2. Re: ID to PDF
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Also, what's in the file? 154 mb is pretty big for an ID file. Will it export in chunks?

• 3. Re: ID to PDF
              brianbaro Level 1

Am exporting to print. i can do a simple file and I have broken it into chunks and managed to get to p 112 (out of 400+). From what I can see, there is no issues beyond tihs page but still won't export. The file contains text and graphics, all linked ok, and preflight fine.

• 4. Re: ID to PDF
                brianbaro Level 1

Yes Peter, it's large but have had no issues previously with the same file. See above for chunks. One crazy thing happened when I created the file and put in page numbers. Once it hit page 100, it identified pages as 1000. This didn't effect the print output, so I haven't worried about it, i.e. it prints numbers accurately as 101... etc. Another glitch maybe? I am assuming it is not related, as said, no issues previously with exporting to PDF.

• 5. Re: ID to PDF

Was this file created in CS5.5 or an earlier version?

Have you tried moving the pages to a new document?

• 6. Re: ID to PDF
                    Simon Dav Level 1

Are you working in server or Local Desktop? if server, try to copy the file to desktop and export it as PDF

• 7. Re: ID to PDF
                      brianbaro Level 1

it was created in CS5.5. I will probably have to do this if cant find a solution elsewhere. i dont thing the pagination is related though, as have had no problems exporting it before.

• 8. Re: ID to PDF

Moving pages is a sometimes-effective way to remove docuemtn problems and is the next thing I would try in this case.  Rename Master page A in the new file to something not used inthe original before moving the pages to avoid having it applied, then select ALL the pages in the old file in the Pages panel and from the panel flyout menu choose Move Pages...

Specify the new file as destination, and move them BEFORE page 1 or facing pages will change sides and create a real mess with reallpied master objects if things wer overridden. You can delete the extra blank page at the end that was the old page 1.

• 9. Re: ID to PDF
                          brianbaro Level 1

I have 470 pages to select...individually. And how can i place them before page 1? I am missing something here? and by the way, in answer to SImroy, i am working on a 'document' not a 'book' on a laptop that has plenty of grunt. The document is a book with text and over 1000 linked photos.

• 10. Re: ID to PDF

brianbaro wrote:

I have 470 pages to select...individually. And how can i place them before page 1?

In the PAGES panel, select the first page in the document, then scroll the panel to see the last page. Hold down the Shift key and select the last page. All of your pages should now be selected.

Open the Pages panel flyout menu and choose Move Pages.... A dialog should open asking for a destination and position in the destination. If you have a new file open already you can choose it as the destination, and you will have a choice of before/after Page 1 (presuming the file has only one page when you make it). Choose before.

• 11. Re: ID to PDF
                              brianbaro Level 1

thanks guys. i solved this by dropping the file on the desktop, opening it and exporting it. it worked. miraculous. thanks anyway for your hints.

• 12. Re: ID to PDF

Since we don't always remember to ask, it's a good idea to mention in your first post along with other details that you are working across a network. It wouldn't necessarily have changed the responses, but we usually suggest moving the files to the local hard drive early on to text whther it's a network issue, so you might have gotten there a little bit faster.

Glad you solved it.

• 13. Re: ID to PDF
                                  brianbaro Level 1

I'm not working on a network. just little old me working on my laptop and backing up on a portable HD.  I feel this is a glitch with ID and there should be a patch for it. it wasted many precious hours working it out. ii still havent worked out my pagination issue. the screen goes from page 10 to 101 etc but as it prints ok i dont care. Again, is this a glitch with ID? Thanks guys.

• 14. Re: ID to PDF

Working on external media is pretty similar to working on a network. Yes, it probably ought to work, but sometimes there are read-write errors.