17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 8:28 AM by wignad

Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue

AMD_90 Level 1

Note that the Illustrator, Indesign and Acrobat print dialogues see all my (custom) printer profiles.

Even Photoshop sees them in the Apply Profile and Convert to Profile dialogues: just not when trying to print.

Is this a known problem?

• 1. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
          Rick McCleary Level 3

What kind of printer?

OS?

Double-check that you have chosen "Photoshop manages printer"

• 2. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
            Level 7

And do your profiles match the expectations of your printer (RGB printer profiles for RGB printers, etc.)?

• 3. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
              AMD_90 Level 1

Thanks for the replies, but all the obvious stuff has been checked.

I have half a dozen printers that I used to routinely print to from within Photoshop, with no problems, prior to swtiching to CS6.

If I fire up CS5, all the profiles I expect to find are available through the print dialogue. Adobe have updated the print dialogue for CS6, and I'm beginning to think they've messed something up: the printer profiles are available in every CMS - aware program I have (all the Adobe ones and a few others) with the sole exception of Photoshop CS6.

• 4. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                Level 7

CS6 limits the profiles visible in the print dialog to only those that work with the printer selected:having the same color model (RGB, CMYK, Gray) and are designed as printer our output profiles (no monitor or scanner profiles).

If the profile doesn't show up, then something about that profile indicates that it would not work with the selected printer.

• 5. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                  MikeKPhoto Level 2

Chris are you sure about Gray Scale profiles. On another thread there was a user with a similar experience. We traded profiles and I could print an image using a grey scale profile that showed up in the profile dialog in CS3, CS5 as well as other programs that supported printer profiles like Qimage and the image printed just fine. But the profile does not show in CS6. Also tested with some of Eric Chan's ABW profiles for black & white printing - these showed up just fine - but peeking inside his profiles there was a reference to it having an RGB designation.

So maybe there is an issue with Grey Scale profiles really need to have an RGB flag in the profile to be recognized?

Cheers

Mike

• 6. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

RGB profiles for grayscale rendering will show up in RGB documents...pure grayscale prodiles will not. The CS6 Print dlog filters the profiles so only profiles matching the color space of the document show up. Which is generally a good thing (but negatively impacts a small number of users).

• 7. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                      MikeKPhoto Level 2

Jeff, I can see that CS6 does filter and that is a change from previous versions, not sure why they added this to CS6 - but in Chris's post he does mention RGB, CYMK, and Gray, but Gray does not show up. There are many fine art b&w printers out there that use these profiles - but now forced to use a 3rd part product like Qimage or Quadtone RIP to get images printed.

So I guess I am confused with Chris's comment that if the printer supports the profile it should be there - and clearly there are a whole range of Epson printers that do, for instance my R1900, 3800 and 7800 happily print great grey scale images - but with Adobe's logic they do not - does not compute; and did not know Adobe was in the printer output verification business

Cheers

Mike

• 8. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                        Level 7

Gray profiles will only show up on grayscale printers.

Gray profiles are not appropriate for RGB or CMYK printers, and will not show up on RGB or CMYK profiles.

• 9. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                          SMPTE2013 Level 1

Chris, I understand Adobe's point, but they alienated many customers who own printers that work quite well with the profiles that are now considered to have a problem with those printers. I don't understand why Adobe is making a choice for us, when they have no idea what works for a customer. I have a calibrated LED monitor that works exceptionally well with the Kodak Easyshare ESP9 printer I have, when I use the Adobe RGB (1998) profile for the printer. Yes, I know it's an older Kodak, but there are Epson's and Canon's in the same boat. Kodak does not have a printer profile available. The printer automatically sets up for the Kodak photopaper I'm using. I burned through several ink cartridges trying to setup the printer for Photoshop CS2. Now that I have Photoshop CS6, I have to waste even more ink trying to find a printer profile that works, even though only Adobe RGB (1998) worked well. The only issue is boosting the brightness of the image +20 to +23 prior to printing to match the photo on the monitor and Nikon D7000. That's a minor incovenience and quite common.

The question is can Photoshop CS6 be configured manually to use all of the profiles stored in the profile directory in Windows? I do see Adobe RGB (1998) in that directory. Perhaps it is in an .ini file or a key in the registry. I will be upgrading to a mid-level or pro-level Canon printer, but I shouldn't be forced by Adobe to do this.

Thanks,

Doug

• 10. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

SMPTE2013 wrote:

I don't understand why Adobe is making a choice for us, when they have no idea what works for a customer.

Uh, it's not Adobe driving (forcing) the changes, it's the OS level print pipeline...Adobe is following the advice of both  the Mac and Windows print pipelines and making concessions to those compromises (and not trying to do hacks or work-arounds as Adobe did in the past). Some of the changes have occurred because of Mac, some because of Windows...it's sort of an equal opportunity user impingement.

If you want to vent, vent at Apple & MSFT...

• 11. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                              SMPTE2013 Level 1

Thanks, Jeff. This issue goes far beyond Adobe. I'm trying to resolve colorspace problems that get even more confusing when there are multiple web pages or other documents at multiple websites, including software companies and camera companies that have conflicting information for the same thing. I don't want to add something else into the mix that may make things worse. Unless the user can have the settings that they know worked on their device to rely on as a point of reference to make controlled changes to accommodate a software change, it's like taking two handfulls of M&Ms to represent various colorspaces in three places in a program and using trial and error to figure out which two or three colors to use and in which order. I think of this as informative dialog and not venting.

Update: After burning through another color ink cartridge and 20 more sheets of Kodak glossy photo paper, I managed to come up with a combination of profiles and colorspaces that are acceptable with the Kodak ESP9 printer in PS CS6. While Adobe RGB should work from the Nikon D7000 JPEG for a larger color gamut, with the Kodak printer, the colors were dull. Went back to sRGB in the camera and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for the working RGB profile. In this printer, color management cannot be disabled in the printer itself, so I selected Adobe RGB. In the PS Print Settings Color Management, PS Manages Colors,  and the Printer Profile is Beta RGB (Adobe RGB is not an available choice). After increasing the photo brightness to about +20, the contrast slightly, and increasing the shadows setting to bring out the shadowed areas somewhat, the printed photo is a close match to the on-screen image on the calibrated LED monitor. When I tried CIE RGB, the colors were more saturated but had too much blue. Maybe this will help others.

• 12. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                                semperlex Level 1

Ok I'm sorry if this is redundant but I have a Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) and I have both Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS6.  Now when I try to print on my Canon Pixma 9000ii through CS5 I see a whole bunch of print profiles.  However when I try to print through CS6 I see much less, most notably missing are Lab Color, Adobe RGB (1998) Color Match RGB and Pro Photo RGB.  Has anyone found an easy way to get those profiles on CS6?

Thanks

Gary

• 13. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                                  Level 5

That is now normal, expected behavior.

CS6 now has  error prevention capabilities that were not present in previous versions of Photoshop.  CS6 will not even show you profiles that are not device-dependent target profiles usable with your particular printer and ink.

Lab Color, Adobe RGB (1998) Color Match RGB and Pro Photo RGB are device-independent profiles that can be used as working spaces, never as target printer profiles.  CS6 is designed not to even show you those profiles, let alone use them with your printer.

Printer profiles are—or should be—always highly device dependent target profiles for a specific combination of paper, printer and inks.

• 14. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                                    wignad Level 1

I had this issue with my custom made profiles not showing up in Photoshop CS6 print dialog and soft proofing dialog boxes until I discovered that putting the profiles in The "recommended" folder caused them to be missing.

All my profiles are showing up now in Photoshops various dialog boxes since I have removed duplicate versions of my profiles from the "recommended" folder found in the Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended folder.

Putting the profiles in "Recommended" used to be a way to group certain profiles together in the menus.

I guess the only folders print profiles should be in on a Mac OSX machine are as follows:

Macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles and/or Macintosh HD/Users/"yourusername"/Library/Colorsync/Profiles

Hope this helps!

• 15. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                                      Alun Level 1

I am using a HP 7000 wide printer. The printer profile works with all my software except CS6. Previous versions of Photoshop and Elements have worked perfectly with this printer. OS is Win8.

This is becoming very restrictive as Photoshop is my main tool and flattening to jpgs to print in other tools is not really on. Adobe, please supply a fix soon.

• 16. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven’t said what the issue is, exactly.  Does the profile produce bad colors or is the profile not found? 

If the latter, there are several answers above your entry that explain why the profile policy is more restrictive, now.  This may not be something to fix, just something different, now.

• 17. Re: Printer profiles not recognised in Photoshop CS6 print dialogue
                                          wignad Level 1

I also found that the profiles that come from the installation of the Epson Driver get put into a hard to find deeply buried folder. In my case, I was looking for the Epson Profiles for my 9880 44 inch wide format printer. I found them by doing a search for the first part of the profiles name (Pro9880). Once I found the location of these profiles I made duplicates of the ones I needed and placed the duplicates into the folder that I mentioned in the above WIGNAD post number 14 from September 5, 1:05 PM. Remember, any profiles you need Photoshop CS6 to have access to must be in this folder. If they are in any other location they just don't show up in the print dialog box.