5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 8:54 AM by rob day

True two color gradient?

M4RTY63

I hoping someone can help me. I just jumped from a somewhat prehistoric CS2 to the newest CS6 and I'm finding that I have a lot to relearn!

My problem is probably very simple, but I just can’t seem to find a solution. I’m having trouble getting a true two color gradient. I want a simple red and black, however it is showing the blended shads in between. What am I missing??

Thanks in advance!

~Martin

gradient.jpg

• 1. Re: True two color gradient?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

So how would you do a gradient that DIDN'T blend the colors?

If you want to go from solid red to some tint of red, and from that to some tint of black and from that to solid black, add two new stops in the middle of the gradient with the tint values. Set them so they are right next to or on top of each other.

• 2. Re: True two color gradient?
            M4RTY63 Level 1

Thank you Peter for getting back to me. Yes, I understand that a gradient has to have a blend.

It's hard to explain, but my sample I sent appears to have grey or brown blends rather than true black. (looks washed out)

I know that if I was to do the same red-black gradient in PhotoShop the result would look very different.

Am I 'out-to-lunch' here?   

• 3. Re: True two color gradient?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't believe you are the first to bring up the difference between Photoshop and ID. Are thes spot colors, CMYK, or RGB? What's your transparency blend space set for?

• 4. Re: True two color gradient?
                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mix a black made of your red plus 100%K. Blend from your red to this mix, and your mid-colors will look much better. This works well with any blend from a color to black.

like this:

Screen shot 2012-10-15 at 4.15.40 PM.pngIf your red is a spot color, make a mixed-ink color of the spot red plus black, and use that instead of straight black.

• 5. Re: True two color gradient?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to making your black with magenta and yellow, the Appearance of Black Preference and your doc's CMYK profile & Color Settings will affect the blend's preview.

If the preference is set to Display Blacks Accurately, your preview will show what happens on an offset press when you make different black mixes. So, here 0|100|100|100 shows a redish brown black (left) but 65|50|50|100 (right) is a neutral rich black—center is something in between 40|85|40|100:

Screen shot 2012-10-16 at 9.19.55 AM.png

If your preference is Display All Blacks as Rich Black  black mixes are not soft proofed accurately:

Screen shot 2012-10-16 at 9.20.51 AM.png