3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 5:00 PM by BenjaminMarkus

Hand drawn effect

mttsmmnds Level 1

Can anyone tell what effect's been used to give these paths a hand-drawn look: https://vimeo.com/39926938 (you can see what I mean from about 1.20)?

This looks to be animated with 3d stroke and then the paths have been affected to make them look a bit hand-drawn. I have a load of animated content (with shape layers instead of masks with 3d stroke) and I've just been told I need to make it look hand drawn. I've tried the brush stroke effect but I can't quite achieve what I'm after. My guess is it's some clever wiggle expressions on the width or something but I'm not so hot with expressions so wouldn't know where to start.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Hand drawn effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Roughen Edges and Turbulent Displace. Oldest recipe in the book. Of course this can be refined and mixed in a milklion ways with other effects, too. For shape layers even the Wiggle Paths modifier would be usable.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Hand drawn effect
            lasvideo Level 4

I also find the Scribble effect a good one to explore with this type of animation.

• 3. Re: Hand drawn effect
              BenjaminMarkus Level 4

Here's a jump rope animation I made in about 15 minutes by animating the paint tool in After Effects and applying Roughen Edges and Turbulent Displace.  I then pre-comped the animation and added Posterize Time at 12fps to make it look like it was shot on twos.  I think this technique or a variation will give you a similar look to the example you provided.  Let me know if you would like to see a copy of the AE project file and I can email it to you.

Also, Light Writing Part 1 and Part 2 are older tutorials from Creative Cow leader Aharon Rabinowitz but they share some timeless tips and workflows for using fractal noise in conjunction with displacement maps to wiggle static graphics for a more hand-drawn feel.

You can also find information and tutorials for giving motion graphics a more hand-drawn feel by visiting my blog: http://benmarkus.wordpress.com/