6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 1:12 PM by it@caotti.net

Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export

it@caotti.net Level 1

I've been working on assembling an epub in InDesign while using a Lynda.com video to guide me. Each chapter is set up as a separate document in the book panel as a .indb file.

Most chapters have only one illustration each, but this one has two and I just noticed the two illustrations are shifting to the end of the chapter after I export the book to epub while all other illustrations in the other  chapters are staying where I put them.

I may have had to shift the positions of the illustrations after I originally placed them, and I can't remember what I may have done to get it to work.

Each illustration takes up one full page and each one is contained in its own picture box. I did not anchor any of them in the text. I'm using page layout order to manage content flow, not the articles panel or XML tags. That worked fine before (and still does for all other illustrations).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're using layout for export order, rather than anchoring, the exact position of the objects on the page determines what order things are exported in. InDesign exports the top-left-most object first, then all objects vertically at the same position from the left. Then it moves to the next object from the left edge, and each object below it at the same position.

You'll have to tweak the picture to the left if you want it to be exported before the text.

• 2. Re: Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export
            it@caotti.net Level 1

But each illustration is on its own page with no text.

All the text boxes are threaded in each chapter, but that didn't seem to matter with the chapters that had only one illustration.

The illustrations need to be near the text that they illustrate.

Would a page break character help? Or maybe I need to make the illustrations inline? I kind of hate to do the latter, because it seems hard to control.

• 3. Re: Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export
              it@caotti.net Level 1

I just tried making the illustrations inline, and that makes the text break in odd places and leaves huge blank spots in the middle of paragraphs (and at least one full blank page).

Since the text is all threaded together, it seems to me I can't use the articles panel or XML tags because the text would still be one article or tag, with the illustrations being different articles or tags, so they'd end up being separated.

If I manually unthread the text, then it won't flow when the window is re-sized (although maybe I have no choice here.

• 4. Re: Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export
                it@caotti.net Level 1

I noticed this morning that I was mistaken about the rest of the illustrations; it turns out they are all shifting to the end of all chapters.

So I figured since there seems to be no better way around it, I might as well place the illustrations as inline objects in the text at the beginning of each chapter.

For the chapter with 2 illustrations, I put one at the beginning as an inline object, and the other at the end of the chapter.

Problem is, I used the Chapter_Title paragraph style to create the TOC, so when I exported, it created blank spaces in the TOC which take you to each illustration when you click them.

So now I want to drag the inline illustrations out of the text so I can make the picture boxes smaller vertically, then drag them back in the text, but AFTER the chapter titles.

Thing is, I don't know how to take the illustrations out of the text?

• 5. Re: Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the graphic and choose Edit > Cut.

Place your insertion where you want and choose Edit > Paste.

• 6. Re: Exporting to epub; illustrations for 1 chapter only shift to end of chapter after export
                    it@caotti.net Level 1

Just great! I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to put most of the illustrations at the front of each chapter.

I can live with that; I've seen plenty of books that do it that way.

I had the epub and mobi versions all ready to upload.

Then the boss calls, I explain the problem and he insists there is a way to put the illustrations near the text that they are illustrations because "he's seen it done". ARRGGH! I'm going to have to do it all  over again!

So he insists that I move heaven and Earth to find someone who knows how I can force this to work the way he wants it to.

I've tried getting answers here, I've tried emailing the person who created the video on Lynda.com (no answer). The only other place I can think of is Amazon forums.

Even the way I did it, putting the illustrations inline in the text after the chapter titles, it sometimes creates a blank space after the chapter title and before the illustration.

That's not a dealbreaker to me, but if that happens if I paste the illustration in between 2 paragraphs within a chapter, it's going to look incredibly stupid.

Can anyone recommend someone who knows how to to this and how I can reach them?

Or has anyone seen it done in a book that is currently available? Maybe I could buy the epub and look at the code to try to figure it out.