5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 11:03 AM by brucer80464368

InDesign repeatedly freezing up

Deborah Slater

My InDesign keeps freezing up. Sometimes it's immediately upon opening a document. Sometimes I get to do two or three things, and then it freezes up. I've restarted InDesign, restarted the whole computer. I also did the "preferences" fix, but no go. (Though it was after the "preferences fix" that I got to do anything at all -- i.e., it didn't freeze immediately on opening a document, but just after carrying out one or two activities.)

Here's my hang report URL at pastbin.com: http://pastebin.com/5YJ1kGLq (named "doobieInDesignFreezing"). My crash report: http://pastebin.com/TYDpFBTm (named "doobieInDesignFreezingCrash"). Would like to get back to work. Thanks.

Details: OS X 10.8.2.    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5.    InDesign CS 5.5 (when I cleared my Preferences, I noticed it said "7.5" for the folder name.)

• 1. Re: InDesign repeatedly freezing up
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First theing you need to do is Update ID to the 7.5.3 patch and try that.

• 2. Re: InDesign repeatedly freezing up
            Deborah Slater Level 1

Well, as you may know, that didn't work. I next uninstalled and then reinstalled InDesign. That didn't work.

At this point, I had been holding for three hours at Adobe phone support, and someone finally answered. They told me that CS5.5 is incompatible with the new Apple operating system. Wow. I cannot believe I had to spend seven hours struggling with this issue, jumping through every hoop imaginable, including three hours on phone hold with Adobe, to discover something that should have been shared with Adobe product users BEFORE those users opted to install that new system.

I installed the trial version of InDesign CS6 and that indeed does appear to have resolved the issue. This is no way for Adobe (or Apple, for that matter) to conduct business -- basically using me as an unwitting tester of their programs. And, incredibly, Adobe wanted to CHARGE me for the phone call. Unbelievable.

I still appreciate your help, Peter, but what a disfunctional system. Unbelievable.

Deb

• 3. Re: InDesign repeatedly freezing up
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Phone support gave you very bad information. CS5.5 works fine.

If you want to repair your CS5.5 install by reinstalling you will need to uninstall both that and the CS6 trial (which may make it impossible for you to run the trial again), then run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) before reinstalling. Indesign versions should be installed in chronological order, and  deleting an older version after installing a newer one is often a source of trouble.

Your first problem was inteh graphics module, but there's no guarantee that it's still there, so before you do anything that drastic, please post new crash reports.

• 4. Re: InDesign repeatedly freezing up
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I read it it's trying to create an alpha channel transparency and can't do it. Does this happen with all files or just some?

• 5. Re: InDesign repeatedly freezing up
                  brucer80464368

Okay, I see that this original post was in 2012 and never answered? I tried to login to chat with Adobe, and an hour went by without a response. Why are we(I) paying for this poor service?!