8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 8:12 AM by writeIDA

TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign

writeIDA

I'm using InDesign CS6 to export a book file to a tagged PDF. When I run the accessibility checker in Acrobat 9, I get errors about items not being contained in the Structure tree. These missing items are links for the TOC and the Index page numbers. When I look at the tags, the Link OBJR tag is missing for these elements. I can't possibly manually add them all in. Other links e.g. cross-references, hyperlinks, automatically include these Link OBJR tags when exported. Why does the TOC and Index not do so?

I've asked this question in the InDesign Forum and no one seems to know. If I don't put these tags in, what does that mean for accessibility of the document?

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
          CtDave Level 5

It means the links are not accessible links.

Be well...

• 2. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
            writeIDA Level 1

Do you have any idea why the links would not be automatically included when exporting the PDF from InDesign? THe TOC and Index are properly created and tagged. The file is a book (with chapters). However, when I export just one long document with a TOC (i.e. not a book format), the TOC link tags DO get exported. It just doesn't seem to work with books for some reason. It's a long and tedious process to manually add these tags in Acrobat but the files are supposed to be accessible PDFs so I need to find a solution.

thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
              raeben3 Level 3

This appears to be a major bug with no real workaround. 

However, as you said, if you put the TOC inside one of the Chapters, it will create LINK OBJR for the chapter that the TOC is placed within.

AND it will also create editable link boxes in the Acrobat file, which can be added to the Tags palette manually using Find Untagged Link -- and that would at least be easier than manually creating each link box, linking it to a page in the PDF, and then adding it to the Tags palette. 

Which is what you would have to do with a PDF created from an Indesign book with a standalone TOC chapter.  When the TOC is not part of another document in the book, it doesn't create the editable link box or the LINK OBJR at all. 

You should NOT have to do this.  This appears to be a BUG and Acrobat should fix it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I can see of no reason why this is occurring from a user standpoint.

• 4. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
                writeIDA Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply! I did end up putting the Link OBJR tags in using the Find Untagged Link because the document had to be released and the links had to work. However, it took a long time and was very tedious. Thanks for confirming my suspicion that it really is a bug because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in the doc.

Do you know of anyway to log the bug with Adobe?

• 5. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
                  raeben3 Level 3

Glad you found something that worked.  For the future ... I found that if you create the PDF from BOOK and following these steps you can get the hyperlinks to automatically tag.  This will work if you are getting editable hyperlink boxes for the TOC -- I find that it is creating these (although I could swear it didn't earlier).  Anyway:

1. Select all chapters in the book and create PDF with hyperlinks and bookmarks. Save as TEST.PDF

2. Open the PDF and in the Pages Panel extract the page or pages containing the the TOC from the PDF.  Save this as TOCtest.pdf

3. Delete the Tags from the TOCtest.pdf file --  in the Tags Panel, select the Root tag, right click and select delete

4. Select Add Tags to Document to this same file.

5. Examine the tags to see if all the OBJLINKs are tagged. Repeat steps 3 and 4 again (sometimes it doesn't autotag correctly the first time).  You may have to manually correct some of the structure -- headings and/or artifacts on these pages. 

6. Save again.

7. Go back to the main document TEST.PDF -- delete the TOC page or pages from that document (assuming you didn't when you extracted.)

8. On the pages panel, Insert from file and choose TOCtest.pdf -- insert before the first page. 

9. This will bring in the newly tagged TOC and it's tags HOWEVER the tags will be out of order in the tags panel. They will be at the bottom and you will need to find them and MOVE them where they should be. 

Still more effort than you should have to but it worked for me.

Not sure how to record a bug with Adobe, but my testing in CS5 shows that this is NOT a new problem.  CS5.5 did the same thing for me.

• 7. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
                    writeIDA Level 1

I tried your work around but when I delete the tags, it doesn't let me add them in again. The setting in greyed out. Does that mean it's not registering that the tags are deleted? There is nothing showing in the Tags panel.

• 8. Re: TOC in PDF does not include Link OBJR tags when exported from InDesign
                      writeIDA Level 1

Ok got it working. I thought I was clicking the root directory but apparently it's the Tags folder itself you have to right-click. Thanks for this. It's a faster work-around than manually moving each link. I logged a bug about the issue anyway.

However, still can't get the Index working quite right using this work-around. It nests each entry under a <P> tag with a hard return icon beside it. At least the Link OBJR tags are showing with each entry though.