Bas-B Level 1

Hi all,

I just bought a new pc with the following specs:

Intelcore i7 3820 - 3.6ghz

32 gb ram

64 bit windows

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680

After Effects CS6 - 11.0.2.12

Then i configured the preferences in After Effects like the advise given in:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-after-effects-cs6.h tml

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/02/optimizing-for-performance-adobe-premiere-pro-a nd-after-effects.html

But still, the rendering feels very slow, not what I expected wenn buying a 2000 dollar workstation.

Settings:

http://loepzuiver.net/faq/vc-multiprocssing.jpg

http://loepzuiver.net/faq/vc-cache.jpg

Is there a reliable benchmark project, wich will give me hard statiscts of my setup? Thanks!

• 1. Re: New PC - must be faster?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Same as I've said a hundred times: There is no magic "one fits all" setting. Depends too much on what stuff you use in your projects and the resulting amount of effects processing vs. footage I/O vs. GPU accelerated stuff vs. your mom. Without knowing any of that nobody can be more specific. For all we know, you could have a single temporal feature (time-remapping or a similar effect) and then everything reverts to single-threaded rendering no matter what....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: New PC - must be faster?
            Bas-B Level 1

Aah okay,

I'm working on a trailer.

2048x858 px - square - 25fps

16bit color channel

1920x1080 footage scaled up to fit comp size, Video copilot Element 3d for titles, optical flares, some lights to light the scene (3d text with element), and some basic solid/mask animations for transitions.

• 3. Re: New PC - must be faster?

OpenGL stuff like Element and OF will also cause reversal to single-threaded rendering, so there you very much have your answer.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: New PC - must be faster?
                mari8899 Level 1

Shouldnot SSD drive fasten up rendering process ? i suggest buying SSD drive not HDD.

• 5. Re: New PC - must be faster?

Shouldnot SSD drive fasten up rendering process ?

It doesn't, given the circumstances.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: New PC - must be faster?
                    mari8899 Level 1

But I don't understand why not, if you have complete composition stored on SSD, and you render it there, how it won't be faster than HDD ?

• 7. Re: New PC - must be faster?

In the given example there seems barely any footage I/O, so it does not at all have a significant influence on rendering times. and even if there are lots of footage, it may not at all matter where it's stored if there is equalyl much processing. Same as always: Depends on teh specific project. SSDs for video are only useful if you can play multiple streams in realtime and any processing can just as well happen in realtime, meaning it may be nice for color corrections or simple edits, but not for complex compositing stuff, least of all when plug-ins are involved that impose their own limitations.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: New PC - must be faster?
                        Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

I'm of the strong opinion that an SSD is the best upgrade you can get after RAM. Your machine feels so much snappier when it's booting in 10 seconds, starting a program in 2 seconds.

And for AE CS6, you will notice a BIG improvement if you place your Disk Cache on an SSD.

• 9. Re: New PC - must be faster?

And for AE CS6, you will notice a BIG improvement if you place your Disk Cache on an SSD.

That's assuming one isn't forced to turn it off in light of it's numerous issues and you're actually working on something where it does nay good...

Mylenium

• 10. Re: New PC - must be faster?
                            Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

I saw you said you have issues, but for me 11.0.2 fixed several bugs in 11.0.1 and I haven't had any problems.

Disk Cache even caches Undo, so there's always an argument for having it turned on and placed on an SSD.