5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 3:40 AM by try67

Scripting bugs and anomalies in Acrobat Pro XI

try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've downloaded the trial version of Acrobat Pro XI and starting testing it out with various scripts and actions. The results are far from good, I'm afraid.

Here are some of my findings, so far:

1. The Action Wizard is very cumbersome and un-intuitive. It took me several minutes to figure out how to change the default setting to a specific folder, and I still can't find where to select the input file types to be processed. Also, what's the relation between the "Default option" and the Add File and Add Folder buttons? Very strange UI decisions there. I don't care about panels and dividers, but I do want the actual commands to make sense*.

2. Another very bad decision is moving the Save command to a different section. What's the point of making it just another "tool" in the list? If you want to use it, you'll want to use it at the end of the process, not somewhere in the middle... And as it stands now, if you don't add it explictly, the changes are not saved at all.

3. After running an Action, some of the files remain open in the window. I was looking for a Close File command, but couldn't find any such thing. Is this a bug?

4. I'm running a script that processes some files. After finishing, the files are automatically saved and overwritten, even though I haven't added that command yet to my script. Very serious bug!

5. After running some scripts and actions, working with hidden files, I've tried to access app.activeDocs. The result was an infinite loop of this error message:

Snap.png

After a while I had to close down Acrobat from the Task Manager.

I must say I'm very disappointed with this release, so far, and would not recommend anyone to upgrade to it.

* Speaking of commands that don't make sense, what's the point of the Document JavaScripts command in the Action Wizard? All it does is open that window... This doesn't make sense at all in an automated action. It should have given you the option to automatically embed a piece of code in a file, not let you do it manually.

• 1. Re: Scripting bugs and anomalies in Acrobat Pro XI
          Luc Leroy @ Adobe Level 2

Hi there,

Your feedback is interesting as this is the very first time we receive some negative feedback about Actions in Acrobat XI.

First of all what do you mean by "what's the relation between the "Default option" and the Add File and Add Folder buttons" ?

If don't have the time to go through the help nor documentation here a brief answer:

- Default option allows the author of an action to specify the behavior and settings for the command. In the case of Add File and Add Folder it will drive user running the action about the type of location the file(s) should be retrieved from: a scanner, cloud repository, a specific folder, etc. This is a bit of improvement over Acrobat X, but not a significant change in the behavior.

I hope this is what you were questionning about.

"Another very bad decision is moving the Save command to a different section"

While this may not be convenient for you, I don't think it's enough to state that it's been a very bad decision since most users like it. It's also more flexible and more powerful. It makes it possible for instance, to save a document with a different naming convention at different points of the action which is an important improvement for some users. I am sure that after you've played with it a little bit more you will agree with that.

"After running an Action, some of the files remain open in the window"

Files that have been loaded by the Action playback should be closed, unless that have something special. Otherwise it could be a bug.

" I'm running a script that processes some files. After finishing, the files are automatically saved and overwritten"

It can only be because the JavaScript contains instructions to save the files, or the Action does. Otherwise it would be a bug and I'd be curious to know more about it as Acrobat is VERY robust about this.

Please provide the files in question I'll be happy to spend time debugging the case.

"After running some scripts and actions, working with hidden files, I've tried to access app.activeDocs. The result was an infinite loop of this error message:"

This is out of my scope and will ask around me how it's supposed to work. Hopefully we'll get an answer from the script folks quickly.

Please share files and way to reproduce the issues you meet, considering that you are the first person to provide such negative feedback there might be some misunderstanding somewhere.

Best,

Luc Leroy

• 2. Re: Scripting bugs and anomalies in Acrobat Pro XI

Hi Luc,

Thanks for your response... However, since posting the initial post I have discovered several more annoying/problematic things with Actions in Acrobat XI. The most serious one is that Actions created in any previous version and imported into Acrobat XI can't be edited in any way. Not the input file options, not the steps executed, nothing. This is a disaster. I would think Adobe would be more careful with backwards-compatibility of such features.

Also, you haven't answered my query about what happened to the option to select the file types which the Action will process.

As it stands, if you select a folder now, all the non-PDF files in it are converted to PDF, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Regarding the default option:  So it's basically a way to let the user add additional files to the ones selected by the creator of the Action? What a weird feature... But OK. It's just very unclear (to me, at least) that that is what it means.

About the separate Save command: You say: "It's also more flexible and more powerful."... No, it's not. It's the same dialog that was present as the Output Options before, only know you have to know to add it at the end of your Action, or it won't do anything since the changes won't be saved after it processes each file. It doesn't offer any additional functionality that wasn't already available in the previous releases, and it just makes things more cumbersome and less intuitive to use.

Regarding files remaining open: I have run several Actions several times now. The last file being processed is consistently staying open at the end of the Action.

It's difficult to re-create the bugs I've reported earlier, but if you provide an email address, I'll forward you the relevant files.

Gilad

• 3. Re: Scripting bugs and anomalies in Acrobat Pro XI
              Acro-Dancer Adobe Employee

Hello try67,

Is it possible for you to send us your test/JS files for #4 and #5? if yes, please send it at amitkuma@adobe.com

• 4. Re: Scripting bugs and anomalies in Acrobat Pro XI
                Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The internal format for .SEQU files has been completely changed for Acrobat XI, so previously-created files are not compatible with the new dialog-driven Wizard. They'll run but that's all.

try67 wrote:

The most serious one is that Actions created in any previous version and imported into Acrobat XI can't be edited in any way. Not the input file options, not the steps executed, nothing. This is a disaster. I would think Adobe would be more careful with backwards-compatibility of such features.

• 5. Re: Scripting bugs and anomalies in Acrobat Pro XI

I understand that, but for me it's a deal-breaker. It would be like saying that you can't edit PDF forms that were created with previous versions of Acrobat. Totally unacceptable. Adobe should have made sure that the new features don't get in the way of backwards-compatibility.

Dave Merchant wrote:

The internal format for .SEQU files has been completely changed for Acrobat XI, so previously-created files are not compatible with the new dialog-driven Wizard. They'll run but that's all.