23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 7:35 PM by Nutriamix

Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?

Nutriamix

I'm testing a Photoshop plugin that's been dead since 2002, and runs in Mac OS 8.1 or higher, as well as Mac OS X up to Adobe Photoshop CS2. It's installed correctly in Photoshop 5.0.2 on Mac OS 9, but it only appears in the Filter menu on Photoshop CS2 in OS X.

Why is this, and how can this problem be solved?

• 1. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Please re-read your question...  You left out describing the one thing that matters - exactly what version of Photoshop and OS you're trying to use the plug-in with now.

If you have Photoshop CS6 you're basically out of luck - old plug-ins were 32 bit.  Photoshop CS6 is only 64 bit.

Given the version numbers you're describing, the plug-in is also likely a PowerPC executable, and modern versions of Photoshop are Intel.  The most current versions of OSX don't even support running PowerPC code via Rosetta any longer.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
            Nutriamix Level 1

No, that information is quite clear in the question: it's installed in Photoshop 5.0.2 on Mac OS 9, as well as in Photoshop CS2 on Mac OS X. Since you can't run Mac OS 9 on any version of OS X higher than 10.4.11, that automatically tells you which version of OS X I'm running.

• 3. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
              Noel Carboni Level 8

So what you're saying is that you can't see the plug-in in Photoshop version 5.0.2?

I guess I was unable to grasp that anyone in 2012 would be trying to run Photoshop 5.0.2 on OS9.

So what kind of code is the plug-in?  Intel?  PowerPC?  I'm probably still right that there's a mismatch.  Apple apparently isn't interested in supporting your use of old software; they've left several working environments behind without looking back.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                Nutriamix Level 1

Photoshop 5.0.2 for Mac OS runs just fine; it isn't cluttered with all sorts of useless "features" that few people need or want.

I can see the PowerPC plugin in the Plugins folder for Photoshop; it just doesn't appear in the Filter menu when you run Photoshop. It's as though it's not really there, even though it is. It's not an Apple plugin, so Apple's disdain for the classic Mac OS doesn't enter into this.

The plugin only runs on PowerPC Macs using Mac OS 8.1 or higher, as well as in Mac OS X up to 10.5 that are running Photoshop CS2 or lower; it's not compatible with CS3 or higher.

• 5. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                  Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Are you allowed to say what plugin it is.

Is the plugin ppc or 68k?

We have both os 9 with ps 5.02 and os x with ps cs2.

And your trying to install said plugin into cs2 on os x 10.4.11 or what version of os x?

Is that an intel or ppc version of os x 10.4.11 or the version of os x your using?

Like Noel i'm not clear on which version and os the plugin isn't working on.

Is it workng in ps cs2 or ps 5.02?

• 6. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                    Level 7

Not all plugins are filters, some are automation, import, export, extensions, etc.

• 7. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                      Nutriamix Level 1

I've clearly stated before that this plugin only runs on Mac OS 8.1 or higher, or Mac OS X up to Adobe CS2; therefore we are automatically talking about PowerPC systems. If you must know, the plugin is ImageAlign Pro 1.2.

It is installed on both OS's, but running Photoshop 5.0.2 in Mac OS 9 yields the plugin not showing up in the Filter menu, which is where it should be, while it does show up in Photoshop CS2 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

• 8. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Nutriamix wrote:

useless "features" that few people need or want

Perhaps it's time to leave the past behind and use a version of Photoshop that has lens correction capabilities in both the raw converter and as a filter, and the new Adaptive Wide Angle feature.

Or are the only features you need or want those you don't have to pay for?

-Noel

• 9. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

A quick googling seems to top-list a lot of posts regarding cracks for the plug-in, but not the makers’ site – what does it do?

Photoshop 5.0.2 for Mac OS runs just fine; it isn't cluttered with all sorts of useless "features" that few people need or want.

Are you trying to annoy people or is that truly your opinion of more current versions of Photoshop?

If the latter: What do you use the program for?

• 10. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                            Nutriamix Level 1

I'm not concerned with or interested in "cracked" software, but this plugin is designed to correct pincushion and barrel distortion that occurs when you take photos from an angle; i.e., tall buildings tilt inward, even though your eye sees them as straight.

As for current versions of Photoshop, it suffers from an extreme case of feature bloat, which in turn requires even more resources to install it, launch it, and run it.

• 11. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I was not implying that you are looking for cracks, I did not know what the plug-in does and could not find that information quickly (with google at least).

• 12. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

And have you checked out the »lens correction capabilities« in CS6 Noel has mentioned?

• 13. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                  Nutriamix Level 1

No, I haven't done that, since I don't own an Intel-based Mac and have no plans to buy one. What I'm concerned with is why this plugin doesn't show up in the Filter menu, when the PDF documentation for it clearly shows screen shots of it being in that menu on classic Mac OS.

• 14. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

You are reaching the end of life of the technology you have, plain and simple.  I can only assume you're working so hard to be able to achieve things the rest of us can do with current versions of Photoshop out of the box because you don't want to spend the money to upgrade your hardware and software.  Did you think that maybe there's a reason the ImageAlign software is no longer being sold?

Clearly your current setup no longer provides you with the features you need, and while you may feel it helps you justify avoiding spending money to put current versions down for having "useless features no one wants", coming on the forum and asking how to achieve features that are actually provided in the newer versions says just the opposite, don't you think?

-Noel

• 15. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Nutriamix wrote:

No, I haven't done that, since I don't own an Intel-based Mac and have no plans to buy one. What I'm concerned with is why this plugin doesn't show up in the Filter menu, when the PDF documentation for it clearly shows screen shots of it being in that menu on classic Mac OS.

I have not use a Mac in years the last one I used had OS 7 a poor OS.  When Photoshop starts up it scan for plug-ins in its plug-ins path and give the them a chance to install themselves where the want to In filters in Automate or whatever menu they want to list themselves in or Photoshop installs them from some information in the plugin binary that shows Photoshop what to install and where to list the plug-in.  Since you have the plug-in in the plug-ins path I think what is happening is the plug-in is failing to install itself in that Photoshop version  running on the Mac OS level and no error message is being generated or there may be some error log where the error is being recorded. I do not know if Photoshop records plug-in initialization failures or not.

Message was edited by: JJMack

• 16. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                        Nutriamix Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

You are reaching the end of life of the technology you have, plain and simple.  I can only assume you're working so hard to be able to achieve things the rest of us can do with current versions of Photoshop out of the box because you don't want to spend the money to upgrade your hardware and software.  Did you think that maybe there's a reason the ImageAlign software is no longer being sold?

That's incorrect; the technology I have, along with millions of others is perfectly suitable to the task and is not at the end of it's life. I'm not working to achieve anything other than getting the plugin to load properly and show up in the Filter menu of Photoshop in Mac OS 9. I do not need to spend money to upgrade hardware or software for that, as that would defeat the entire purpose of having this plugin.

I know why this plugin is not sold anymore: the company went out of business, like lots of other software companies. But that fact does not make their software any less useful than it was before they went out of business.

You seem to conflate going out of business with failure, and they are not the same.

• 17. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Nutriamix wrote:

That's incorrect; the technology I have, along with millions of others is perfectly suitable to the task

So THAT's why this attempt to resurrect a dead plug-in is working out so well for you, and you're getting so much expert support.  I was wondering about that.    Technology doesn't work in a vacuum.

Good luck getting that plug-in running.  I mean that - I sincerely hope you manage it.  Everyone deserves to succeed at their labors of love.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                            Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

I'm wondering if there two different versions of the plugin for macs, one for os x and another version for os 9 and earlier.

Are you using an installer for the plugin or just copying the plugin for cs2 to ps 5.02?

• 19. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                              Nutriamix Level 1

There's only one installer for both OS's; the installer scans your hard drive for the application and then lets you install the plugin. But if it doesn't find the version you're looking for, you also have the option of choosing another location that you can navigate to to install the plugin, which is what I did for the Photoshop 5.0.2 version, since Classic was not running at the time, so I'm guessing that's why it didn't find that version during the scan.

I could just as easily have dragged the plugin from the folder inside the .dmg and copied it to the Plugins folder, but the result would still be the same. The PDF documentation makes no mention that you shouldn't use the installer for non-OS X versions of Photoshop.

Puzzling, to say the least.

• 20. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Well, if you mentioned the name of the plug-in & version it might help...I've got an old G4 with Classic and I can launch and run Photoshop back to .87 beta (which was the Barney Scan XP version). What I don't  understand is if you simply want to test it and you've got it installed and running in PS CS2, why do you need it in PS 5.0.2?

• 21. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                                  Nutriamix Level 1

As I said earlier, the name of the plugin is ImageAlign Pro 1.2.

Because it's supposed to run in Mac OS 8.1 or higher, as well as Photoshop CS2 in Mac OS X, that's why I want to get it working in Classic on Photoshop 5.0.2, or any other version for Mac OS 8.1 through 9.2.2.

It's all about getting the compatibility that it's supposed to have, and that the screenshots clearly show in the PDF manual.

• 22. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                                    SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

I have the 1.0.1 installer disk and it requires the Classic environment to run.

My guess is that the installer you have does not include the 68K version plug-in, and only the PPC version. Since Grasshopper Ltd, makers of ImageAlign Pro don't appear to have a registered domain, I can't check on versions or updates.

regards,

steve

• 23. Re: Why don't plugins appear in the Filter menu?
                                                      Nutriamix Level 1

My guess is that the installer you have does not include the 68K version plug-in, and only the PPC version. Since Grasshopper Ltd, makers of ImageAlign Pro don't appear to have a registered domain, I can't check on versions or updates.

Perhaps, but that wouldn't make any different here. I'm running Photoshop 5.0.2 on Mac OS 9, since Mac OS required a PowerPC processor for Mac OS 8.5 or higher. The company went out of business, so their domain no longer exists; you'd have to view it using the Wayback Machine (imagealign.com).

Still, that doesn't tell us why the plugin doesn't show up in the Filter menu.