0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 2:37 PM by groove25

BUG: Info panel displays incorrect Hue values

groove25 Level 4

Recently, I've been doing a lot of work with color in Fireworks and came across the following bug, which appears to be a longstanding issue within the application. Rather than keeping it to myself, I figured I'd post it here in addition to submitting a bug report with Adobe. So here it is...

Hue values displayed within the Info panel (in HSB mode) do not consistently match the values displayed in the Color Mixer panel—including basic colors such as pure Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta. The values are 1 degree off—most often below the Color Mixer value, but sometimes above (as with Magenta). This holds true whether using with the Eyedropper tool or the Color Picker swatches eyedropper, and whether sampling from the canvas or from swatches.

Color Mixer.pngInfo.png

For example, the following inconsistencies were observed when sampling the centermost horizontal strip within CS6's default Color Cubes swatches picker. Note that over 50% of these colors are affected by the issue.

Hue discrepancies.gif

The Color Mixer seems to display the correct values, while the Info panel's values appear to be incorrect. Note that this issue affects the HSB mode only; the RGB and Hex values are consistent between both panels.

This bug has been observed in Fireworks CS6, Fireworks CS5.1 and Fireworks 8 on Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Here's the bug report submitted for this issue:

Product name: Fireworks

Product Version: 12.0.0.236

Product Language: English

Your operating system: Mac OS 10.6.8 (Intel-based)

******BUG******

Concise problem statement: The Info panel displays incorrect Hue values for many colors—including pure Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta. The Hue values are usually 1 degree below the value displayed in the Color Mixer panel (e.g., 59 instead of 60 for Yellow) but sometimes 1 degree above (e.g., 301 instead of 300 for Magenta). This is true whether using the Eyedropper tool or the Color Picker swatches eyedropper, and whether sampling from the canvas or from swatches.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. In an open Fireworks document, open the Info, Color Mixer, and Swatches panels. Within the Color Mixer and Info panels, set the color mode to HSB.
      2. Draw a Rectangle and set its fill to Yellow (#FFFF00) using the Color Picker.
      3. Observe the Hue values displayed in the Color Mixer and Info panels.
      4. Select the Eyedropper (I) tool, and sample the rectangle's fill color. Again, observe the Hue values displayed in both the Color Mixer and Info panels.

Results: In both steps 3 and 4, the Hue value for pure Yellow (#ffff00) appears as 60 degrees in the Color Mixer panel but 59 degrees in the Info panel.

Expected results: The Hue for pure Yellow (#ffff00) should appear as 60 degrees in both panels.

Note that this issue affects the Info panel's HSB mode only; the RGB and Hex values are consistent between panels. Also note that this bug affects over 50% of the "pure" hues within CS6's Color Cubes swatches palette. For more info, see the following forum post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1083391

This bug has been observed in Fireworks CS6, CS5.1 and FW8 on Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).