5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 6:57 PM by JaysonM-Y

4x 2tb internals and 2x 500gb/1tb 3.0 externals needed. Any Suggeestoins?

JaysonM-Y Level 3

Exactly what the title says. Found a love for Spinpoints since being on this forum, but I wanna know if the 'Best HDs' list has been updated and if there's any suggestions on portable USB 3.0 drives for work with 50mbps footage.

• 1. Re: 4x 2tb internals and 2x 500gb/1tb 3.0 externals needed. Any Suggeestoins?
          JFPhoton Level 3

...on my two year old Asus laptop I was only getting ~ 105MB/sec. transfer rate using a SATA II  Corsair F120 SSD plugged into an external USB III dock. Then, I downloaded a newer driver for the USB III controller on my machine and it appears   to NOW be getting over 220MB/sec, according to the Windows little box that indicates transfer speed while its occuring. HD tune pro did not report the same result, however. So, I am not sure what the true, real life potential IS for the external USB III port. I guess it depends on the exact controller in your machine. Storage Review ,( .com), has tested many external drive units ,and recently reported great results with a thunderbolt connected RAID box. However, I have not seen units tested with the USB III interface. G RAID and others have USB III units to consider.....look for something that has been tested with "incompressible" data, ( like digital video files are). For great performance, you would need over 200 MB/sec. transfer rate, read AND write....usually, this means either an enclosure with TWO HDDs RAIDed together,or, containing a larger SSD. Marvell controlled would be preferred over Sandforce, for video files.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 4x 2tb internals and 2x 500gb/1tb 3.0 externals needed. Any Suggeestoins?
            JaysonM-Y Level 3

I still didn't ask my question right... thanks for the info JFPhoton, but I was looking for more like Brand Name and Drive Modle. eg. Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Segate STBX1000100. Stuff that were tried and tested by the community.

• 3. Re: 4x 2tb internals and 2x 500gb/1tb 3.0 externals needed. Any Suggeestoins?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The Samsung Spinpoint F3 disks are great disks with solid performance, but they are hampered with two drawbacks, only 32 MB cache and only SATA 3G.

If you have suffficient SATA 6G ports, you may consider Seagate Constellation ES disks for 24/7 use with 64 MB cache or the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 range. The last ones have only one year warranty and initally the 2 TB model was hindered by DOA's and developing screeching noises. If you know you will never use a parity raid, WD Caviar Blacks are an alternative. Furthermore look at the Hitachi 7K3000 range. Ultrastars are better and more reliable than the Deskstars.

SATA 6G is only relevant for raid configurations, for single disk use it is irrelevant and not faster than SATA 3G.

• 4. Re: 4x 2tb internals and 2x 500gb/1tb 3.0 externals needed. Any Suggeestoins?
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Aren't HGST Ultrastars 7K3000 and 7K4000 series the only spinning drives with a 5-year warranty and 2m hrs MTBF? Constellation ES - 3-year warranty with no listed MTBF numbers if I remember right.

• 5. Re: 4x 2tb internals and 2x 500gb/1tb 3.0 externals needed. Any Suggeestoins?
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

I'm a big fan of Hitachi drives. Thank you Harm, with your suggestions I found the internals I needed. Now to see if anyone has any suggestions on portable 3.0 drives.

EDIT

Found em. WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EFRX

and SEGAGE EXPANSION 1TB

Message was edited by: JaysonM-Y