14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 4:20 PM by Noel Carboni

Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2

bmad2012 Level 1

When I move my cursor over a pin (call it pin #1) the area controlled by  pin #1 looses its preview - appears to revert back to the unedited state. (Same if I actually click on that pin, as if I mean to add to that adjustment brush edit.) If I then move the cursor over another pin, any pin,  the preview view returns to the area controlled by pin #1. 

This happens with a RAW image that has just 2 adjustment pins as well as as one that has a dozen adjustment brush pins . Clicking the Preview off and on does not cause the preview to return to the pin that has lost its preview. Doesn't matter if the RAW file is using process 2012 or 2010. Happens to NEF files from a D300 as well as D800E. Doesn't matter if Enable Lens Profile Correction is checked. I have turned off and then back on the Use Graphics Processor in Prefs, and changed Image tile size (Does that affect ACR?)

HP z220 worksation

Windows 7 x64

i7 3770 3.4

32GB RAM

Video Card: AMD FirePro V4900

Video Card Memory: 1024 MB

Driver Version: 8.911.3.1000

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 6

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

Photoshop Version 13.0.1.1

monitor: NEC PA301W at 2560 x 1600 x 4294967296 colors

• 1. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

What color is your mask preview set to?

• 2. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
            bmad2012 Level 1

it is set to a light green R185 G255 B193. Selecting Show Mask or not has no effect. When I hover my cursor over the pin, the mask appears, as it should.

• 3. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
              bmad2012 Level 1

I did install the Microsoft Camera Pack. Has anyone done the same? Wonder if that could cause a problem.

• 4. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                bmad2012 Level 1

uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CS6. After the reinstall, before any update, I did not notice any problem while working in ACR 7.0 Then I updated (Had to download and update Adobe Application Manager to 6.2 to get update to work.) After I updated, same problem with ACR 7.2  Two adustment brush edits (exposure  easiest to see). Then hover cursor over #1 pin, preview vanishes for the edit under that pin. Hover cursor over #2 pin, the preview reappears for edit under pin #1.  Next I will uninstall Microsoft Codec Pack. I doubt this will work, as I did not see any problems when using ACR 7.0

• 5. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

It's more likely a video card driver issue, is your vid card driver up to date?

• 6. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                    bmad2012 Level 1

Yes - checked that. According to the HP site, driver is up to date.

After I uninstalled the Microsoft Codec Pack, I went back in, thought that uninstall had fixed it. However, I realized getting the problem to become evident is not always so simple. I have a nikon NEF Raw file open in ACR 7.2 with six adjustment brush edits/pins. Preview works as it should for all pins - hovering over the pin does not affect the preview. When I add just one more new exposure adjustment brush/pin the problem is back. Maybe additional Exposure adjustment triggers the problems...

• 7. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                      bmad2012 Level 1

I think I found what causes the problem - seems like a bug to me - but maybe it is my system. The Adjustment brush previews work as expected so long the Show Mask option is checked AND one of the of the Adjustment Brush pins is selected; so one mask is always showing.

For example, when a previously edited image is first re- opened in ACR, no brush pins are selected (Show Mask can be checked). If I hover my cursor over one of the pins (for example I have 6 brush adjustments) the mask flashes on for the associated edit, as expected. When I move the cursor away, the edit preview disappears as if the edit never happened, but the pin remains. I then select one of the pins by clicking on it to make that edit live. Now when I move my cursor over a pin the mask for that pin flashes on, when I move the cursor away from that pin the preview of the edit is showing. Now the preview works for any brush edit.

BTW Before I found this "solution" I updated my V4900 driver direct from the AMD site - the Hp workstation  site did not have the latest, just the latest driver they had tested. So my V4900 driver version is 8.982.8.1. However, updating the driver did not help.  (Also would like to say that I called HP tech support, I spoke to a knowledgeable guy. And the workstation website has good instructions for flashing a BIOS etc. so kudos to HP.)

• 8. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Saw your note in the other thread.

I needed to test this; I don't use the Adjustment Brush much, so I wouldn't have noticed it.

When I HAVE used the Adjustment Brush in the past - though quite possibly never in 7.2 as I reverted back to 7.0 for other reasons - as I would hover over a pin it would put a white "fog" over the image to show where the adjustments are effective.

I've just done a test where I created two obvious adjustments with the Adjustment Brush in the shape of A B on the top of a dark image.  A and B each use different pins.  I then chose [Done] to save the adjustments.

With Camera Raw 7.0, when I open that image back up I see the adjustments, and when I select the Adjustment Brush and hover over each of the pins I see following:

Open Image:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122736.jpg

Select Adjustment Brush:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122741.jpg

Hover over left pin:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122742.jpg

Hover over right pin:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122744.jpg

Move cursor off right pin:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122746.jpg

With Camera Raw 7.2, I see this:

Open Image:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122301.jpg

Select Adjustment Brush:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122307.jpg

Hover over left pin:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122309.jpg

Hover over right pin:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122311.jpg

Move cursor off right pin:

ScreenGrab_10_22_2012_122315.jpg

Yep, looks like a bug all right.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                          bmad2012 Level 1

Thanks - yoiu have no idea how much time I have spent on this.

Now if you click on/check Show Mask option  below the brushes,  then select/click on a pin so that pin is active and its mask is showing, the preview will show. So long as Show Mask is checked and one pin is active/showing its mask, preview works as expected on any and all pins.

(BTW did not get back immediatly as I am also trying to figure out why my new NEC  PA301W has pink or green outlines around the screen text of some web pages, Windows Mail. Any thoughts. And I too have a special pair of glasses for viewing my screen.)

• 10. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Just so you know, I'm just another user like you, but I have fond hopes that a reproducible problem being reported here by multiple people will get the Camera Raw engineers to sit up and take notice.

Regarding the use of color in font rendering, the ClearType font rendering process uses color on purpose to aid in subpixel rendering.  If you're seeing too much of it, you may need/want to run the ClearType Tuner application.  Click Start, type Cleartype in the search box, then click Adjust Cleartype Text when it comes up.  I believe it's screen 3 where you're given the choice of how much color you want it to use.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                              bmad2012 Level 1

Thanks - I ran the ClearType Tuner (again) before I read your post. It did help. While researching screen font rendering issue I came across your posts on MS community forum.

Do you think I should re-post this problem as a bug so that Adobe will notice?

• 12. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

The Adobe folks don't always acknowledge feedback here, but I think they do read this forum from time to time.

But there is another site they sometimes ask people to use to report problems:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

-Noel

• 13. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                                  bmad2012 Level 1

I did post the problem on that site 3 days ago. A little baffled by the photoshop.com site...

I haven't used the Adobe forums for quite awhile. Since many problems are OS related, surprised to see that Mac and Windows Photoshop users now share the same forum.

• 14. Re: Loosing Adjustment Brush previews in ACR 7.2
                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

The sparring between Windows and OSX people has surprisingly only reached a low rumble at infrequent times.  I started out not liking the idea of squeezing the two together, but it has afforded me the opportunity to learn more about Macs, and one of the prime reasons I like being here is because it helps me learn new stuff.

-Noel