6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 2:53 PM by Alex - DV411

Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?

LaptopConfig

I was wondering what would be a better configuration to have to use for Premiere / After Effects. I have a laptop (32GB RAM and Quadro 4000 2GB) that only has 2 slots for SATA III, an mSATA (SATA II) and an optical drive (that would be replaced for a HDD) that's SATA II.

So I was wondering if it would be better to have (and following the generic guidelines here)...

256GB mSATA SSD (Crucial M4) - OS, Programs

750GB Seagate 7200 RPM - Media, Projects

750GB Seagate 7200 RPM - Pagefile, Media Cache

500GB Seagate 7200 RPM - Previews, Exports

or

256GB SSD (Samsung 830) - OS, Programs, Pagefiles

750GB Seagate 7200 RPM - Media, Projects

500GB Seagate 7200RPM - Previews, Media Cache, Exports

I currently have the Seagate 500GB drive already, and don't want to invest in more than 1 SSD

I'm guessing that more drives would be better. The only thing is that the first configuration might have a slower bootup with the slower mSATA in SATA II.

• 1. Re: Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Frankly it's puzzling to me that people pretty much mandate more than two volumes. Anyone finds real-world benefits in that, aside from shaving seconds off PPBM times?

I'd just do OS/apps and media, period, unless there is a need for a lot of faster-than-realtime encoding.  If circumstances allow, use a USB 3.0 or eSATA RAID1 or 5 box for projects and media - to save your bacon as drives do fail. Yet have another storage device (or devices) for backup and archiving - even parity and mirroring can't save the bacon from, say, a user error.

• 2. Re: Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?
            LaptopConfig Level 1

Well I'm currently using a 2 drive setup and just got a new laptop so I wanted to set it up "correctly". So I don't actually know if having more than 2 drives is really beneficial

• 3. Re: Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?
              JFPhoton Level 3

It appears that for best performance you should have OS, programs, and pagefile on the M4 SSD, THEN, RAID0  together two 750GB drives and put everything else on this RAID. Next, have a large 7200rpm HDD connected for backup,( original source media,project files,etc.).

• 4. Re: Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Alex has been asking about number of volumes and what the Tangible benefits of multiple volumes are.

I responded it is not about volumes or number of disk drives, it is all about sustained transfer rates. If you have a single volume for video work with a sustained transfer rate of 1300 MB/s, as my current raid array gives, there is no reason to create more volumes. But if you have a volume (that may be partitioned off from a single disk) that only gives you 80 MB/s transfer rate, then you easily see hiccups, jerkiness, and similar symptoms. Again, it is not about number of volumes or disks, it is only about sustained transfer rates.

In my initial build I have a sustained tranfer rate, summed over all my volumes (4) in excess of 2400 MB/s and that makes for easy editing. That is the only thing that matters.

• 5. Re: Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Thee other consideration is the fact Mechanical drives start slowing down when capacity exceeds 50%. Large raids with SAS raid controllers can minimize this or even eliminate it but individual drives will always have this. Having more than 1 work drive allows you to split the capacity load as well. This keeps the work drives functioning at ideal transfer rates.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Laptop Performance: Number of drives vs speed?
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

Alex has been asking about number of volumes and what the Tangible benefits of multiple volumes are.

I responded it is not about volumes or number of disk drives, it is all about sustained transfer rates.

I thought I did mention something like, "assuming the volumes are fast enough for the task", which makes performance issues irrelevant.  Perhaps I should have also added, "assuming a fixed number and type of disks", or "on a given budget", or even, "assuming sufficient transfer rates", to those questions.  Then Harm wouldn't be able to steer away to what is really a different topic.

With few exceptions, it's been pretty much industry standard to have two volumes (boot/OS/apps/other non-media crap + everything related to media), and I think the discussion about volumes confirmed that being the optimal setup - or at least, didn't refute.

If I am not mistaken, everyone seems to be in favor of a two-volume setup for this particular situation?