5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 1:18 PM by j.senk

Solid VFX/Editing Suite PC build?

j.senk

Hello all,

Putting together a new VFX/editing workstation for a first time build. Trying to keep it in the 2K ballpark. Mainly to be used for Ae/Pr, with some C4D as well. Closing in on ordering parts, anybody see any red flags of any kind?

CHASSIS: Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower

CPU: Intel i7-3930K 6 Core

MOBO: ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX670 2GB 256-bit

RAM: 32GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 1600

HDD: 2x OCZ Octane 256GB SSD (Boot/Cache)

3x WD 320GB SATA in RAID(0) config (Media)

PSU: Corsair HX Series 750W 80 Plus Modular

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler

Any comments/suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

JS

• 1. Re: Solid VFX/Editing Suite PC build?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have room, cabling and cooling are better with a full tower case... and LOTS of case fans (large size for lower rpm and less noise)

750W may be a bit light... check with Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Solid VFX/Editing Suite PC build?
            j.senk Level 1

Thanks John, for the feedback.

I was on the fence about a mid or full size, only reason I went with the HAF is because I read reviews from so many owners who said they had more than enough room for all of their components (with similar setup) with that particular case. That coupled with the modular PSU, figured I'd be alright.. but I will in fact check out the full tower cases and see if any of those might work better.

I had actually had an 850W PSU selected and thought it was overkill.. but now looking at a few things I added (like the CPU cooler and extra HDDs) I think you're absolutely right. Going at least 850, good call.

Any thoughts on the HDD config? I've seen a ton of different options and opinions for disk setup. My main concern would be read/write times in Ae and how exactly to configure disk cache.

• 3. Re: Solid VFX/Editing Suite PC build?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do home video editing with AVCHD, which is CPU intensive -vs- a codec that is more drive intensive, so I am happy with my 3 drives

If you are going to use a less compressed, drive intensive codec, you may need a raid configuration

My boot drive uses about 70Gig for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & several small programs,

plus all of my non-video files (Word & Excel & etc) with my Windows paging/swap file

directed to another drive
              My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...
              1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)
              2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files
              When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,
              so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files
              3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)
              (1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives
              - use drive 3 for all source files
              - use drive 4 for all output files
              (2) only 70Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs
              Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file
              http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Solid VFX/Editing Suite PC build?
                Alan Craven Level 4

I do pretty much the same as John, but my drives 3 and 4 are both two-drive RAID0 arrays.  I use low compression intermediate files quite a lot of the time, so I need the extra speed

Essential for this system is an external drive to back up the RAIDs, even though I do not make a living from my editing.

• 5. Re: Solid VFX/Editing Suite PC build?
                  j.senk Level 1

Great advice. Thanks again.