5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 10:18 AM by gvo12345

How to sign without being asked to save new file

dragos3 Level 1

After signing a PDF in Acrobat X I am asked to save the new file.

What settings can be changed to just save the file without asking to save the new resulted file ?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to sign without being asked to save new file
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I do not think you can changes this behavior. You can save on top of the old file. It is no longer possilbe to unsign pdf files. The only way to preserve an unisgned copy is to make Reader's behavior to Save As when a document is signed. While I understand why you might desire the Reader to behave this way, Adobe's choice is the safer choice for most users.

• 2. Re: How to sign without being asked to save new file
            dragos3 Level 1

Dear Michael,

Thank you. So its not possible to just overwrite.

My initial question was about Acrobat Pro.

You mean Acrobat Pro not Reader ?

• 3. Re: How to sign without being asked to save new file
              Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi,

Yes, you can save over the existing file. You will get the overwrite confirmation dialog, but you do not have to create a new file if you don't want to. Of course if you want to do a Save As and create a new file you can, but you don't have to.

Acrobat (and Reader as well) has to perform the signing operation on the disk. We could sign in memory (and you wouldn't get the prompt to save the file), but we don't for security reasons. It's easier for the bad guys to modify the bits in memory just as you are about to sign (this stuff happens figuratively at the speed of light so it's not something you'd see) and to prevent legal documents from being compromised at signing time we write all of the file to disk (where it's harder for the bad guys to get to). If there were no hackers we could make the signing process a bit easier, but alas...

I hope this helps,

Steve

• 4. Re: How to sign without being asked to save new file
                Rolf Schmoldt Level 1

Hi Steve,

ltns . May I add, that it depends on the Signature Handler. Adobe's standard signature handler PPKLite, installed as PPKLite.api in the plug_ins folder of Acrobat and Adobe Reader, is requesting always a manual target file, but allows to overwrite the original.

Other signature handlers, e.g. like SigPDF, automatically are overwriting the original PDF file ... to prevent enterprise members to store the signed file outside the expected location (e.g. a network drive).

• 5. Re: How to sign without being asked to save new file
                  gvo12345 Level 1

Is there anyway to automatically save the file without having the save as window to pop up?