5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2014 2:04 AM by distriller

Capturing video via Firewire does not work on CS6

Gerard Voogt

I recently installed 64 bits Windows 7.

The capture function in Premiere CS6 does not work with my panasonic camcorder NV-GS500

Windows recognizes the camcorder, but I cannot do anything with it in the Capture window.

This not an Premiere-specific problem , because also wit Nero I have the same problem.

I expect that the Windows7 driver for my camera needs to be upodated, but Panasonic cannot help me.

Is there anybody out in the Premiere community who knows a solution?

• 1. Re: Capturing video via Firewire does not work on CS6
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Might want to set the firewire driver to Legacy (oude versie)

Some trouble shooting:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/cant-capture-dv-hdv-video.html

• 2. Re: Capturing video via Firewire does not work on CS6
            MrsJVD

I'm having the same problem at this very moment and it just started this. I could capture just fine a week ago. Has something occured in the last update?

• 3. Re: Capturing video via Firewire does not work on CS6
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Windows 7 Changed the standard 1394 driver from XP which allows Win 7 to Throttle bandwidth on Firewire devices. This is why Ann mentioned the legacy driver which is basically the old XP driver. The bandwidth throttling causes allot of issues with certain cameras during the Handshake process which is why you often have deck control but no preview or primary video stream. If you follow the instructions in the link above or the paste below to set the Legacy driver for the 1394 controller , that will often resolve these issues. However some firmware on different manufacturers Firewire controllers include these C-State Bandwidth throttling sets so it still may not work. In that case you want to get a Firewire card with a TI chipset. The firmware on TI chips are clean and dont include the C-State changes.

Solution 6: Use the Legacy FireWire driver (Windows 7 x64)  

•  
                  Click the Windows Start button; type "device manager" into the Search box and select Device Manager

Swivel open the "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" item

Right-click on your listed 1394 controller; select "Update Driver Software"

Click the "Browse my computer for driver software" button, followed by the "Let me pick from a list" button

Select the option that has "(Legacy)" at the end of the name; click Next and let Windows install the driver
              Make sure you restart the system after you make the change to legacy. Also do not have the Firewire device plugged in when changing the driver to Legacy.

Close out of dialogs and retry capture'
              Eric
              ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Capturing video via Firewire does not work on CS6
                Gerard Voogt Level 1

I have gone through the checklist that Eric has provided and after some ajustments verything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Capturing video via Firewire does not work on CS6
                  distriller Level 1

Hi ECBowen,

I see that you know about these FireWire chipsets. I suspect that I have broken three expensive pieces of equipment with my Asus P9X79 WS onboard FireWire, which uses a VIA chipset. Only now I figure out this VIA may be the culprit. My question is, is it possible that simply plugging FireWire and a device in could physically destroy the device? I have destroyed two FireWire ports of my audio interface, the FireWire port in my camcorder and the FireWire port in a video converter (all these are very expensive, by the way). Some of them have been busted even without hot swapping (switching everything off first).

I am not going to use the VIA chipset for FireWire ever again. But, I am curious whether this is really possible; a widely used chipset being able to destroy devices, or is it more likely my computer (VIA chipset) is broken and thus causes electrical faults?