5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 5:34 AM by jfb00

Access DataField in Itemrenderer when submitting to Database

BrianJ011980

Hello,

I'm really stuck on this one. I have setup an Itemrenderer in a Datagrid which manages a DateField. Users can enter a date and other values directly in the datagrid. When they click 'submit', I want to populate a row in a database and I have setup a service for this. A row is created in the db as expected however the date is not populated despite users having entered a value. Below is a code snippet:

Datagrid

<s:GridColumn dataField="datf" headerText="Period From" rendererIsEditable="true">

<s:itemRenderer>

<fx:Component>

<s:GridItemRenderer dataChange="updateRenderer()">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

public function updateRenderer():void {

periodFrom.text = outerDocument.dtf1.format(data.datf);

}

private function dateField_labelFunc(item:Date):String {

periodFrom.text = outerDocument.dtf1.format(item);

return outerDocument.dtf1.format(item);

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<mx:DateField horizontalCenter="0" verticalCenter="0" width="90%" id="periodFrom" labelFunction="dateField_labelFunc"/>

</s:GridItemRenderer>

</fx:Component>

</s:itemRenderer>

</s:GridColumn>

Handler

protected function createBillResult_resultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void

{

var dataProvider = itemsDg.dataProvider;

var item = null;

for (var i:int = 0; i < dataProvider.length; i++){

item = dataProvider.getItemAt(i);

trace(item.datf); <--- THIS IS 'UNDEFINED'

billItems.days = item.days;

billItems.ratu = item.ratu;

billItems.lnid = item.lnid;

trace(billItems.datf = dtf2.format(item.datf));

createBillItemsResult.token = billingService.createBillItems(billItems);

}

}

I would have thought that I can access the value from the itemrenderer using the dataField property like I do with the other items.

Please, please, please help.

Brian

• 1. Re: Access DataField in Itemrenderer when submitting to Database
          jfb00 Level 3

Hi,

Try this:

<s:GridColumn dataField="datf" headerText="Period From" rendererIsEditable="true">

<s:GridItemRenderer>

<![CDATA[

public function updateData():void {

data.datf = periodFrom.selectedDate;

}

]]>

<mx:DateField horizontalCenter="0" verticalCenter="0" width="90%" id="periodFrom" formatString="MM/DD/YYYY" text="{data.datf}" change="updateData()" />

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Access DataField in Itemrenderer when submitting to Database
            BrianJ011980 Level 1

Hello jfb00,

Thanks for your help, it worked for the most part, however, I got two errors:

1. When I added one item to the datagrid, I got a general warning but when I submitted the data, the database was updated as expected - great!:

"warning: unable to bind to property 'datf' on class 'Object' (class is not an IEventDispatcher)".

2. In the scenario when I try to add a row to the datagrid, enter data, then add another row, an exception gets thrown:

"TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference"

Any further ideas?

Brian

• 3. Re: Access DataField in Itemrenderer when submitting to Database
              jfb00 Level 3

This error "TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference" usually show when you are trying to set something that doesn't exist at the time of calling.

I create a test code and it works for me. Try to replicate you issue here:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" minWidth="955" minHeight="600">

<fx:Declarations>

<!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects) here -->

</fx:Declarations>

<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

import mx.controls.Alert;

// Data includes URL to album cover.

[Bindable]                       

private var initDG:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection([

{ Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Slanted and Enchanted', Price:11.99, datf:'01/01/2012'},

{ Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Brighten the Corners',     Price:11.99, datf:'01/01/2012'}

]);

private function addEmptyRow():void{

myGrid.dataProvider.addItem({

'Artist':'',

'Album':'',

'Price':0,

'datf':''

});

}

private function showData():void{

Alert.show('Done');

}

]]>

<s:VGroup>

<s:DataGrid id="myGrid" dataProvider="{initDG}" width="100%" variableRowHeight="true" editable="true">  

<s:columns>

<s:ArrayList>

<s:GridColumn dataField="Artist"/>

<s:GridColumn dataField="Album"/>

<s:GridColumn dataField="Price"/>

<s:GridItemRenderer>

<![CDATA[

public function updateData():void {

data.datf = periodFrom.selectedDate;

}

]]>

<mx:DateField horizontalCenter="0" verticalCenter="0" width="90%" id="periodFrom" formatString="MM/DD/YYYY" text="{data.datf}" change="updateData()" />

</s:ArrayList>

</s:columns>

</s:DataGrid>

<s:Button label="Add Row" click="addEmptyRow()" />

<s:Button label="submit" click="showData()" />

</s:VGroup>

</s:Application>

• 4. Re: Access DataField in Itemrenderer when submitting to Database
                BrianJ011980 Level 1

jfb00, you are a legend, words can not expres my gratitude. The problem was that I was not setting the default values of the datafields when creating a new row.

Could you please explain to me why I get the: "warning: unable to bind to property 'datf' on class 'Object' (class is not an IEventDispatcher)" and what the impact is? I'm planning to re-use the datagrid to display the data returned from the database for an update process.

Thanks again,

Brian

• 5. Re: Access DataField in Itemrenderer when submitting to Database
                  jfb00 Level 3

Hi,

I don't see you code so it is hard to guess. Maybe an object doesn't dispatch even, try to declare [Bindable] in front.

Best,