0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 1:51 PM by AlexFJaxFL

Hello, World - trying to understand the steps

AlexFJaxFL Level 1

Hello, Experts!

I am pretty new to Flash Development, so I am trying to understand how to implement the following steps using Flash environment

http://pdfdevjunkie.host.adobe.com/00_helloWorld.shtml         

Step 1: Create the top level object. Use a "Module" rather than an "Application" and implement the "acrobat.collection.INavigator" interface. The INavigator interface enables the initial hand shake with the Acrobat ActionScript API. Its only member is the set host function, which your application implements. During the initialize cycle, the Acrobat ActionScript API invokes your set host function. Your set host function then initializes itself, can add event listeners, and performs other setup tasks.Your code might look something like this.

<mx:Module xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" implements="acrobat.collection.INavigator" height="100%" width="100%" horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off" >

Step 2: Create your user interface elements. In this example, I'm using a "DataGrid" which is overkill for a simple list but I'm going to expand on this example in the future. Also notice that I'm using "fileName" in the dataField. The "fileName" is a property of an item in the PDF Portfolio "items" collection. Later when we set the dataProvider of the DataGrid, the grid will fill with the fileNames of the files in the Portfolio.

<mx:DataGrid id="itemList" initialize="onInitialize()" width="350" rowCount="12"> <mx:columns> <mx:DataGridColumn dataField="fileName" headerText="Name"/> </mx:columns> </mx:DataGrid> 

Step 3: Respond to the "initialize" event during the creation of your interface components. This is important because there is no coordination of the Flash Player's initialization of your UI components and the set host(), so these two important milestone events in your Navigator's startup phase could occur in either order. The gist of a good way to handler this race condition is to have both your INavigator.set host() implementation and your initialize() or creationComplete() handler both funnel into a common function that starts interacting with the collection only after you have a non-null host and an initialized UI. You'll see in the code samples below and in step 4, both events funnel into the "startEverything()" function. I'll duscuss that function in the 5th step.

private function onInitialize():void { _listInitialized = true; startEverything(); }