10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2012 12:02 AM by RobertAria

Unable to search for font style Italic

RobertAria Level 1

In InDesign's Find/Change dialog, I click on the Find Format magnifying glass to open the Find Format Settings dialog. I click on the Basic Character Formats tab, and in the Font Style field I select 'Italic' from the dropdown menu. When I release the mouse button, the field displays 'Regular', not 'Italic'. If I key the word 'Italic' in the field, the same thing happens. The only way I've been able to get around this is to specify the Font Family as well, but I want to search for Italic Font Style regardless of the Font Family (there are several in the document). I haven't specified any other search details in either the Find/Change dialog or the Find Format Settings dialog. I'm currently using CS5.5 but I've experienced this problem dozens of times in both CS4 and CS5.5. I have a vague recollection of occasionally being able to do it, but if so it's been very rare.

Is there a reason why this is happening? Is there any way to search for Italic Font Style regardless of Font Family?

• 1. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

What system, Mac or Windows?

On occasion, InDesign's dropdown boxes stop functioning -- selecting anything with the mouse does nothing, and the selection reverts to the default. Being on Windows, I can use Tab and the arrow keys, but I don't think the Mac is There Yet.

Rinaldoh wrote:

The only way I've been able to get around this is to specify the Font Family as well, but I want to search for Italic Font Style regardless of the Font Family (there are several in the document).

Try if this works: first, select Font Family, then select Italics. Then delete Font Family.

If it doesn't ... here is a one-line Javascript that stuffs Italics into the Find What dialog Save as "findItalics.jsx" into your local Scripts folder, double-click it in the Scripts panel to use.

app.findTextPreferences.fontStyle="Italic";

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
            RobertAria Level 1

I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8.

Thanks for the script, it worked fine, but on top of that it inadvertently revealed what is going on with this issue.

When I ran the script, the Find Format field in the Find/Change dialog showed '+Italic'. However, when I went into the Find Format Settings dialog, the Font Style field said 'Regular'. When I exited the Find Format Settings dialog, the Find Format field still said '+Italic'. The Find process worked fine, that is, it found text formatted as Italic.

I then went back to what I was originally doing, without using the script, and exactly the same thing happened. The two fields didn't match up, but the Find operation worked fine.

I'm currently working in CS5.5, but as I recently purchased CS6, I tried it in that program and exactly the same thing happened. And just to confirm my recollection, I tried it in CS4 and it happened there too.

I realise also why it has occasionally worked OK. Sometimes I would have entered Italic in the Font Style field and immediately clicked OK to exit the Find Format Settings dialog, and I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong. But once I got used to the problem, I started to make a habit of tabbing out of the Font Style field 'just to make sure'. I would have seen it revert to Regular, and I would have just given up and (unnecessarily) worked my way through the font families one by one.

Anyway, now that I know what's going on, it's not a problem at all, but it's odd that it's persisted through at least three versions of InDesign. Thanks, Jongware, for your help.

Does this happen on Windows? Has anyone else on a Mac experienced this strange behaviour?

• 3. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is the sort of strange behavior that I typically think is symptomatic of corrupt prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 4. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
                RobertAria Level 1

Good to know about replacing preferences, but it didn't make any difference to this issue.

• 5. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic

Is it restricted to just this file? If so, see Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 6. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
                    RobertAria Level 1

No, I've been experiencing this problem consistently for several years, every time I need to do this search, across multiple versions of InDesign.

• 7. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic

I don't think Ive seen this reported before, and it doesn't happen here, so if it's an ongoing problem for you I'm suspicioous it might be realted to something else on your system. Do you have any third-party plugins? A font manager?

• 8. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
                        RobertAria Level 1

Thank you Peter, I do use Suitcase as a font manager, and I haven't upgraded it since around 2007. When I switched it off, the problem disappeared. Problem solved - not an InDesign issue after all. I imagine I'll be fine once I upgrade Suitcase. Thank you again for your persistence.

• 9. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic

You'll need to upgrade to Suitcase Fusion 4, not just update an older version. I'm surprised you don't have a lot of other problems.

• 10. Re: Unable to search for font style Italic
                            RobertAria Level 1

Thanks Peter, I've upgraded to Suitcase Fusion 4, and that's fixed the problem. I can't think of any other problems I might have had through not upgrading, but maybe there were some things here and there and I didn't realise.