11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 12:01 PM by ExactImage

How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?

klonaton Level 1

We're doing lots of collaborative editing at our company and just switched from FCP7 to premiere.  We're able to import sequences into projects just fine, but a HUGE problem arises with duplicates.  Each sequence we import brings in new master clips in the Project window, even though all that media already exists in the project.  If I delete it, the media disappears from the sequences that use it. 

WHY!!!!?

I assume this is user error.  We're still learning the software and collectively agree that this can't possibly be how Premiere is designed to operate.  What are we doing wrong, and how can we avoid balooning our project files each time we want to consolidate our editors' work?

• 1. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
          ExactImage Level 3

I never found an easy way of doing this within a single project.   When importing Pr projects it seems to match them (most of the time!) but importing XML files always seems to generate duplicates.   The only way to get rid of a duplicate is to drag the original copy over the top of the duplicate within the new sequence, then the duplicate is no longer used and can be deleted.

Another work around is instead of importing XML to the same project, create a new (temporary) project for each sequence to be imported from an XML, then import the sequences from the new Pr project instead of from an XML file, because then Pr will match them and not create the duplicates.   You'll still need to move the sequences out of the new bin that's created, but at least it won't create duplicate assets.

Once you've got them all merged you can delete the temporary projects and move on.

This seems to be an on going frustration.  I've filled in a feature request / bug report on this before now, but it's not something they seem to feel is a high priority.

• 2. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
            klonaton Level 1

So what we've been doing is we have mutliple project files, one for each editor.  When a new selects sequence or edit is ready, we go File>Import>Sequences.  This creates duplicates nearly every time.  Are you saying we should import the entire project instead of just the sequence so that it is more likely to match the clips?

I can't believe this is how it's supposed to behave.

Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
              ExactImage Level 3

No.  

File --> Import

Choose the Pr project, then a dialog appears asking if you want to import the entire project or a selected sequence.  Choose the selected sequence option and wait while it parses the project and gives you a sequence list.  Pr will import only the sequence and not duplicate the footage assets if they already exist in the project.  Any new assets will of course still be imported as needed, but it shouldn't import duplicate assets provided they are the same path as your originals.

• 4. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I assume this is user error.

It isn't.

this can't possibly be how Premiere is designed to operate.

It is...for now.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-anywhere/introducing-adobe-anywhere-for-video/

• 5. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                  ExactImage Level 3

While I'm *really* looking forward to seeing the reality of Adobe Anywhere, it currently poses more questions than we have answers for, including how much horse power the server and central storage systems are going to need.  Even for a small shop with 3 edit bays I can see the server becoming pretty sluggish rendering all the frames that need to be sent to the clients, especially once effects are added.  And... what happens when some one decides it's time to export with some plugins that take all the CPU/GPU time up?    And then.... is this going to be included in the next Production Premium or is there going to be a massive premium added on top making it uneconomic for smaller shops?

Until we know more.... we'll just have to keep editing individually and merging projects as needed.  

-- back on topic ---

As I said above, if you are importing projects from other editors it would not normally duplicate the footage.  If it's still doing it then there may be some path issues in the copied project.  In order to 'fix' those issues you can open the copied project they sent first (as a project, not as an import), reconnect all the media to your local media (this is usually just one or two clicks) then save it.   Now go back to your master project and import the sequence as before.  Because your copied project is now already connected to your local media it should not need to duplicate them.

If it's STILL duplicating footage than perhaps you need to give us more specifics.....

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                    klonaton Level 1

Exact,

I'm right with you on Adobe Anywhere.  Sounds great in theory, but I imagine it'll take some serious hardware (as well as testing time) to get it working.  if we're still having basic problems like this with Premiere (and it's on v.6) I don't believe the solution is starting at 1.0 with an entirely new type of system.

More specifics... We have a server where all media is stored.  None is local, all machines are referencing the exact same filepath.  Click "Show in finder" on two duplicates and they point you to the exact same place.  But duplicates are still being created in each project.  However, after we've imported a set of media dupes associated with a sequence, they no longer duplicate. 

For example, say I'm working in Project A, with clips 1-10 on the server and already in my project.  I need to edit a sequence that was created in Project B using clips 1 and 2, and when I import the sequences I get new masters for clips 1 and 2.  Then later in the day the assisntant editor has added clip 3 to the sequence in Project B, so I re-import.  This time only clip 3 comes in as a master.

So once the Project B clips are all in Project A, there are no more duplicates created (and to be perfectly clear, both projects are referencing identical media- in fact Project B is created by copying Project A).  But if they're referencing the exact same media I don't understand why any duplicates are created in the first place. 

• 7. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

It's just the way PP works.  Always has.

• 8. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                        klonaton Level 1

I just find this inane.  When two people work on a word document it's not like copy and pasting a paragraph requires you to have a bank of all the words used, and deleting them causes all uses in the paragraphs to vaporize.  And I know, I know, an NLE is much more complex with references and filepaths, etc. but FCP never had this problem.  You pull in a sequence, and you just get your sequence.  Create new master clips if you want to, but they're completely optional.  Seems like a very basic functionality.

Definitely ranting here, and I apologize.  But I'm hoping someone on the Premiere team is listening, because this is a killer for multi-seat edit houses.

• 9. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                          ExactImage Level 3

klonaton wrote:

For example, say I'm working in Project A, with clips 1-10 on the server and already in my project.  I need to edit a sequence that was created in Project B using clips 1 and 2, and when I import the sequences I get new masters for clips 1 and 2.  Then later in the day the assisntant editor has added clip 3 to the sequence in Project B, so I re-import.  This time only clip 3 comes in as a master.

So once the Project B clips are all in Project A, there are no more duplicates created (and to be perfectly clear, both projects are referencing identical media- in fact Project B is created by copying Project A).  But if they're referencing the exact same media I don't understand why any duplicates are created in the first place. 

Well, if you think about it, this tells you a lot.  When you import the files the first time, they duplicate.  When you import then a second time they don't.  That is significant.

So, what is the EXACT path to the media on each of the machines right from the the first character to the last.  If there is ANY difference, the media will duplicate.  Once you have a local reference it's now using your local path, so the media reference will be the same and no longer need to duplicate.

I would be looking very carefully at how each machine is referencing the media on the server to see if there are any differences anywhere along the way.

• 10. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Agreed.  Adobe does a lot of thing better than other NLEs, but networking and collaboration aren't yet on that list (at least until Adobe Anywhere gets released).  Here's how to rant to them directly.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 11. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                              klonaton Level 1

The paths are literally completely identical.  Not a single character difference.  We only have single copies of our media on the shared server, so the paths have to be identical, there's simply no other place to point the master clip.  This is what is so boggling. 

• 12. Re: How do I avoid duplicates when importing sequences?
                                ExactImage Level 3

OK - well, here is the workaround if you're absolutely sure the paths are 100% identical.....

Instead of importing the sequence from project B in to project A, close project A, open project B, let the media connect then SAVE project B again.  Now open project A and import the sequence from project B, then come back and tell us if it's still duplicating the media, or of it connected to the original media.