3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 12:21 AM by Mylenium

Tell if CS5 or CS5.5 at a glance?

Bowserstein Level 1

Is there a way to know if an After Effects Project File is CS5 or CS5.5 at a glance? I mean by just clicking on the info or something? (Running a Mac). I have 5.5 and I down save them to 5 to send them to people and I was wondering if there was a faster way to tell than just opening every single file and checking it in AE. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Tell if CS5 or CS5.5 at a glance?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not that I know of. The info is stored in the file in a way that it would require some specific quick view plug-in to do that. There may be some way using Apple Script, but that sure will end up involving AE somewhere along the way, still, even if just to launch it and intercept a warning about the file version and then shut it down....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Tell if CS5 or CS5.5 at a glance?
            Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

If you open an AEP file in a text editor like BBEdit you can actually

see which version of AE created it by looking in the meta data at the

end of the file:

<xmp:CreatorTool>Adobe After Effects CS5.5 10.5 Macintosh 64</xmp:CreatorTool>

I can't find anything in the file that shows which version of file it

was saved as, though...

Opening a binary file like this in a text editor always comes with a

risk of you accidentally changing something that will make your file

corrupt, so be careful.

• 3. Re: Tell if CS5 or CS5.5 at a glance?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

To elaborate on Jonas' suggestion: That metadata thing will only work, if you have the pref set accordingly. If you never use XMP it's of no use, e.g. you'd never see it in any of my files because I just hate XMP polluting everything and have turned it off.

Mylenium