3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 4:13 AM by Peter Spier

Doubt about leading in TOC!

Marceloxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is it possible to set different spacing between lines (leading) according to the next paragraph style, in Indesign?

I mean, when I create a new table of contents I would like to aggregate titles of the same level and I also would like to separate different title levels, for instance:

However, when I set "space before" and "space after" it applies to the whole paragraph style and it does not identify if the next style will be the of the same level or not... Here is the problem:

wrong_leading_difference.JPG

The next image shows what I want to do. 

Now, I only can do what I want by pressing enter manually after each style... Is there an automatic way? Thanks in advance!

the_way_I_want.JPG

• 1. Re: Doubt about leading in TOC!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Each level should have its own style. They can all be based of a master style and differ only in name, indents, and spacing.

• 2. Re: Doubt about leading in TOC!
            Marceloxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Level 1

Thanks, Peter. In this case, I would like to have different leading for the same paragraph style, then I could choose leading according to the levels which precede it... However, if it differs only in name, indents and spacing I don't see as possible to perform different leading... Am I right?

Thanks a lot for answering!

• 3. Re: Doubt about leading in TOC!
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You cannot have multiple different attributes in a single style. You can have multiple styles that are similar, but vary in spacing or leading (I honestly think you mean paragraph space befor or after here, not leading, which is the space between baselines in the same paragraph), and you can assign them automatically to each level of a numbered list. You may need two styles per level, on with spacing for the first paragraph and one without for the following paragraphs. I don't do enough work with lists to have the details burned into my brain, bu this does get discussed here fairly often, so a forum search for numbered lists and spacing should bring up useful information.

Or you can just add the spacing as a local overirde if the TOC is the only palce you have this problem.