3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 11:39 AM by Joel Cherney

Data merge

RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hi!

A quick question on data merge in Indesign cs6.

I'm making some name labels with name and title and I've set up a table in apples program Numbers. The table has two collums, one for each "merge"-text box and I have named them i row 1. In Numbers, there is no option for exporting TAB delimited tables, as far as I know, so I have to export as CSV.

When i'm selectin the csv file as my data source in the data merge dialog box, it's read back as one collum. The name of the two different collums appears in the same data merge row in ID.

When I've been working on a PC plattform, I've always exported as .txt, which has been working fine.

So my question is; does ID support csv, or do I need to translate the table to .txt with Excel on a windows PC?

Rune

• 1. Re: Data merge
          Rik Ramsay Level 4

RuneEilertsen wrote:

So my question is; does ID support csv, or do I need to translate the table to .txt with Excel on a windows PC?

Yes, it does. CSV and TXT are the only 2 filetypes InDesign can use for data merge - unless you use XML but that's a different thing.

Having never used Numbers to create such a file, I am not sure what the exact answer would be. However, a CSV file is comma-delimited so you could open the file in textedit and check to see if there are comma's after your column data. This would tell you if it was working properly. Also, make sure you are exporting using Unicode UTF-8.

• 2. Re: Data merge
            RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hi Rik

Thanks for your reply..

I'm not sure if I used UTF-8, so I'll check that when I'm back in office.

Rune

• 3. Re: Data merge
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what Numbers exports by default, or what it can export for that matter, but when you Select Data Source in ID there's an "Import Options" button that will let you select the delimiter, encoding, and platform of your data source. So it could be tab-delimited Windows Unicode or comma-delimited Mac MacOSRoman, or et cetera.