6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 5:49 PM by Bill Gehrke

AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac

paul Dunsford

I have an iMac with AMD Radeon HD 6770M/2GB VRam and I would like to know why this video card does not support MPE in the iMac but it is listed as a supported card.  I am using CS6 with a Macbook Pro with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M/1GB Vram with no issues and with half the VRAM.  I took a shot and tried the hack "Changing the supported cards" and had system slow downs and crashes.  The specs on my iMac are higher than the Macbook Pro so I would love to know what's different with the machines that OpenCL/MPE is not available on the iMac?

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2

Paul

• 1. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac
          DMH79 Level 2

paul Dunsford wrote:

I have an iMac with AMD Radeon HD 6770M/2GB VRam

Paul

Did you mean to put that you have the AMD Radeon HD 6970M? In your title and opening sentence it says the 6770M but your specs at the end say the 6970M is the card you have.

I, like MANY others, have the same latest and greatest iMac with that card (the best one currently available on iMac) and MPE is still not supported. With the new flow of FCP users migrating over to Adobe, I've wondered why GPU acceleration isn't yet supported on this card as well and would love to know if its in the works right now.

• 2. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac
            paul Dunsford Level 1

Yes you are correct. Sorry for the typo 6970m

• 3. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac
              rock.hawkins Level 1

I've had the same issue with the same tricked out iMac system. I've attempted the hack mentioned above as well and suddenly Premiere becomes snail-slow...eventually crashing. I find this extremely frustrating. I paid good money for CS6 Creative Suite and not being able to take advantage of the Mecury Playback Engine is just ridiculous.

It really doesn't make sense for Adobe to loose customers by not supporting Mac's highest end graphics card: the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB VRAM...and not supporting Macs in general in comparison to their overwhelming support for PC. 

I'm flabbergasted that MPE works with 1GB VRAM but not 2GB????  Anyone that purchased the iMac's highest-end video card (which only comes with the highest-end iMac) likely did so with video editing in mind. Otherwise, why bother with the added expense?

Originally I wanted to blame Mac, being a long time Premiere user on the PC, but now I see it is the fault of Adobe. A critical update to fix this issue is imperitive.  If this issue continues to be ignored by Adobe and is not fixed relatively soon, I will be forced to switch to the inferior Final Cut X which is something I do not wish to do. My workflow from Prelude to Premiere to After Effects to Photoshop etc...is paramount and will be entirely compromised by using Final Cut. I suppose it can be done but it will just be a pain.

Why switch? Render times with Final Cut on my particular iMac are almost 5 times as fast w/o MPE and 40 times as fast when MPE is enabled. This matters when you're rendering massive amounts of video footage regularly. Time is money for me.

Some will say "Well why did you buy an iMac if you're a serious video editor?" Ummm...my iMac cost roughly $5000 (with all the upgrades) and blows any MacbookPro out of the water on Geekbench with benchmark results around 15,000; very close to a $10-15,000 12 core Mac Pro(price not including the 27" Cinema Display that is built into the iMac). There is no reason to get a Mac Pro unless you enjoy waisting your money.

Instead, add 32 GB of ram to your iMac, add up to 3 internal SSD drives and a 3 TB Seagate Barracuda(around $2000 dollars including installation via http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac_2011/27_Inch. And if you must, just thunderbolt a couple LaCie 512MB external SSDs and use them as your scratch disks.

Anyways, enough of that. Does anyone have a fix for this? Adobe? Do you plan on doing anything about this or will I be forced to shift to Final Cut X? Please just let us know if you plan to support this graphics card so we don't all have to sit around waiting for a fix. Do you plan to support the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB Vram card that will be in the December 2012 iMacs. If so, I may just sell my current iMac at a loss. Thanks.

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac 12,2 with TurboBoost and Hyperthreading up to 3.8GHz

32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

L3 Cache: 8MB

2 Internal Raid 0 1TB 6Gb/s SSD Drives

1 Internal 3TB Seagate Baracuda  7200 RPM 64MB Cache Drive

4 External LaCie 512GB Thunderbolt  SATA III SSD Drives Daisy Chained

Mac OS X Lion 10.8.2(12C60)

Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2

• 4. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac
                Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 5. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac
                  paul Dunsford Level 1

Thanks for moving to the correct forum.  Any idea when this card will be supported?

• 6. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6770M Open CL support iMac
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately, this is the wrong place to ask that question.  It is highly populated by users like you.  Occasionally, you will find and Adobe employee helping us out.  You really have to work directly with Adobe for such an answer.