12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 6:56 AM by ECBowen

Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card

SecretSqirel

I've been building a PC over the last few months that I want to use for editing HD video, mainly for YouTube. This is for my work to create information and instructional short films. I've also been setting up a permanent studio with the correct lighting/screens etc as I will be making videos most days. Here is the current PC spec:

X79 Sabertooth

i7 3820 overclocked to 5.0ghz

670 GTX x2 in SLi

32gb 2133 Ram

120gb Crucial M4

500gb WD black x2

1tb WD black x1

watercooled

3 x LG IPS monitors

Here's a quick pic of where I am at the moment:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5DFhR4a-ZvE/UF4i5SKlz1I/AAAAAAAACTc/G_xGc5ZUkzA/s800/DSC00092111111.jpg

For the camera I will be using a Canon 600d with an external mic and was thinking of recording directly on the PC by using a Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDMI capture card.

The questions I could really do with some help on are:

1. Is it a good idea to record directly onto the PC using the capture card?

2. Is the Blackmagic a good choice?

3. What hard drive set up would you recommend?

I don't need much in the way of back up as once this PC is (eventually) finished I'm going to build a home server.

Any help really appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With the limited info you gave, only one suggestion at the moment: Get rid of the second 670 card and forget about SLI. It is not supported.

• 2. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
            SecretSqirel Level 1

I didn't know that

Will a single GTX670 be ok for Premiere Pro and After Effects? (CS6)

What other info should I include to get help with my questions?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
              Harm Millaard Level 7

A single 670 is more than enough for PR, especially with that CPU. Even if SLI were supported, dual 670's would be way overkill in relation to your other components.

Why a BlackMagic card?

1. Is it a good idea to record directly onto the PC using the capture card?

Why not simply import the audio from the Canon? Or use an external recorder like the Zoom H4n? It prevents the background noise from your PC.

3. What hard drive set up would you recommend?

See Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup and the bottom of this page: Latest News

• 4. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Why not simply import the audio from the Canon? Or use an external recorder like the Zoom H4n? It prevents the background noise from your PC.

He wants to capture video and audio using Intensity Pro straight from the cam; I assume to lessen compression losses; if his main output is YouTube, the benefit is rather questionable.  To tweak Harm's question a bit:

Why not just import the camera's video (and audio) via its flash card?

(If you do have reasons other that video quality, then Intensity Pro is fine for the purpose - and as Harm said, you'd want a lapel or other stand-alone mic to record your voice - the camera's mic is unlikely to serve well for the purpose.)

• 5. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                  SecretSqirel Level 1

I was thinking of getting the Intensity Pro both for the compression (may want to use the footage for other projects away from YouTube) and for convenience (Not having to make a video, take the card out, upload to PC). Also I will sometimes want to live stream (for short periods) from the camera and this seemed like an easy way of doing it.

Is it just the cost of the card that makes this a questionable idea or is there a better way to accomplish the above?

(really appreciate the help guys, my knowledge in this area is terrible)

• 6. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

First, confirm that you can do live streaming via Intensity Pro. Not every app supports it as a source due to it not being a DirectX device (or something like that, I don't remember).  If not, then it may be a moot point, you will likely be better off with file based workflow (flash cards).

• 7. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                      Baz R Level 3

Hi,

also check that the 600d has a clean hdmi out for capture, as in previous models it was to be used for external monitors for viewing only.

• 8. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                        JEShort01 Level 4

SecretSqirel,

Your water build looks super clean; could you share some more details such as what components you used, what you learned, and would you do it again?

And what component has what appears to be two LCDs and 4 sliders?

Thanks,

Jim

• 9. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                          SecretSqirel Level 1

After reading the replies I think it might be a better idea to just record onto the SD card and get a good webcam for streaming, probably cheaper as well. Thanks for the help guys.

In reply to JEShort01:

Hi and thanks. The components used for the watercooling are:

XSPC Raystorm CPU block

XSPC GTX670 GPU blocks (with backplates)

480 Black Ice SR1 rad x2

Koolance m/b blocks for the sabertooth

Laing D5 pump

Alphacool repack reservoir

Acrylic tubing with Bitspower Crystal Link fittings (tubing can discolour to quickly)

That's off the top of my head, there is also drain and fill ports etc.

I originally got into watercooling more for the silence tbh but now wouldn't use anything else, just gives so much overclocking room. If your looking to get into watercooling XSPC sell complete kits with very good components at fair prices, if you need help on what to get I can help.

As far as the 2 LCD's and the sliders they are separate components. The LCD's monitor ambient and water temperture and the sliders are a fan controller (the case is heavily modified and that section was built from scratch)

If you are interested I have a build log for this PC here

(Hope I'm allowed to post the link, if not please delete mods)

• 10. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                            SecretSqirel Level 1

Sorry to bother you Harm but would you mind having a quick look at this proposed hard drive set up and giving me your opinion on it? I've read so many posts on this subject the last few days my head is just spinning now.

Would the following set up be OK or is there something I should change :

C: SSD, OS, program files, page file - I already have 1 x Crucial M4 120gb. If this is sufficient then great if not would adding another and putting them in Raid0 be a good idea?

D: Media, Projects, User Folders - I need to purchase these and was thinking of getting 2x wd black 1tb and using Raid0. Is this a good set up or would I be better buying a third 1tb or maybe using 2x 2tb instead?

E: Export, Scratch, Previews - I already have 2 x 500gb wd drives, was thinking I could Raid0 these if that would be sufficient?

F: Backup - I will be adding a home server in the near future but for now would like a backup drive. Was thinking a single 3gb hd?

Thank you for your help.

EDIT - looks like the sabertooth can only run one Raid setup (from what I can see). Back to square one and still no idea what to do with my hard drive setup.

• 11. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                              SecretSqirel Level 1

I'm getting to the point where I can't think straight now.

After more reading I'm wondering if the following setup would be OK?

C: My existing 120gb SSD - OS Programs and pagefile

D: 4 x 1tb wd blacks in Raid0 - everything else

E: 3tb backup

Any help really appreciated.

• 12. Re: Help with drive set up and HDMI capture card
                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes you can capture directly to the Blackmagic Intensity card to their Motion Jpeg codec which would give you better color sampling than H264. However you want to see if the HDMI on that camera bypasses the encoder chip and also if the HDMI out on the camera offers 1080P output instead of 1080i only. If not then I would suggest going with Cineform and capturing directly to the Media Cards on the camera.

Eric

ADK