7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 2:06 PM by tfbkny

Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive

ladobeugm

I'm trying my first tesponsive design in Edge Animate. It's a simple one. It's just a series of 203x203px images layed out in 5 rows of four columns. 20 images in all. I have the stage set up at 100% width and 1015px height and each image is set at 100% width and height. Each image is nested in a symbol so I can do rollover and touch effects and that's set at 203px width and height for each one. Mimimum width is set at 280px and Max width can't be set in An. I'm using the Scale Position on each symbol to make it all responsive on each image which is in a symbol. So the symbol has the preset. Not the image insside of the symbol.

Issue I have is that it's responsie to a point. When I drag my browser, the padding (margin?) between each symbol shrinks or grows, but the images stay the same height and width. So they start running into one another. How can I make it work where the images get smaller or larger depending on the screen size?

• 1. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
          dhosford Employee Moderator

Hi there,

Have you tried setting the relativity for each image accordingly in the Properties panel under Position & Size?

position_relativity.png

Also, if you can post your Edge Animate file that would help us to target the problem specifically. If you cannot post the files publicly, you can also send them as a .zip in a private message. : )

I hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
            DEynaud Design

Im having same problem. The responsive layout works with only hieght but does not stretch out the width.

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Link below to example if it works... 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h2gmikqqmz9za71/J_sXTTtPTb

• 3. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
              sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey guys,

Try setting the Background Image property to 100% - this will allow the image to scale 100% with the stage.

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 11.35.10 AM.jpg

Lemme know if that works!

Sarah

• 4. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
                DEynaud Design Level 1

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the replying but still this did not fix the problem.

I have tried everything but to no prevail. Did you look at my example?

If you could send it to your experts maybe they can help.

I have been on the forums and other people seem to be having the same problem.

Kind regards,

Dave

• 5. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
                  tfbkny Level 1

One of the most annoying things is when having to waste days to try and figure out WTH is going on with the px and % toggles. I've got 2 symbols contained within a symbol. Evrything in both symbols is been set to % and both are set to "scale" not resize. Yet the container symbol's W and H px and % toggles remain grayed out.

Anyone can shed some light on this cripplying and cryptic UI function? If a lock is set on any UI control (like those %-px toggles) there should be at the very least something to let the end user know why so that the constraining factor could be removed with the way it currently work it's immenssely frustrating... so any hint would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 6. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
                    sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey tfb,

Definitely hear you on the pain point when scaling symbols. We're looking to add addition presets for single-click sym scaling in the near future. Right now due to the nature of HTML there isn't a native syntax to have a div and all its children scale along with it so it requires a little bit of Animate magic to get working, but we're on it!

Thanks,

Sarah

• 7. Re: Issue with 100% responsive layout not being responsive
                      tfbkny Level 1

Thank you Sarah

The Edge Animate Wizards will have to pour in a few drops of their magic potion as usual, to get around the shortcomings of the evolving HTML standard.

I am aware there will be many more pressing (as well as preferable) and urgent things to take care of, like adding features to the UI, extend capabilities to make EAn more powerful (I'd like to some sweet additions like "canvas" myself! ), smoothing workflow and integration with other app in the adobe ecosystem, so thank you 2x for your reply about this nice to have fix

In all that I wonder if someone has some time to dedicate some TLC to the documentation (like listing all the API instructions available in a better way, maybe even searchable like the jQuery API documentation) and integrate "dos and don'ts". Would be nice to have a reference like that available in flash (hey not expecting that by next week, but would be nice to know it's in the works to be added in future versions *hint-hint, nudge-nudge" :P)

Cheers!

tfbkny