7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2012 1:50 PM by Chris Cox

Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!

phoeberekab12

Hello, If anyone could help me I would be so grateful, i really am struggling to the point of tears here!!

I have simple line drawings in illustrator (outlines of clothes) that I wish to open in photoshop to add colour and effects to.

When i have tried to copy and paste (as normal paste, smart object, pixels, path and shape layer) the quality is lost.

I have also tried to open or place the file in photoshop as a .psd, .ai , .pfd and still the quality is lost.

I have saved with different resolution settings too, but it always loses quality when it is opened in photoshop.

Is there any way for me to have a clear line drawing like it is in illustrator in photoshop? And how should I go about it?

Thank You so much to anyone who can help, I really am at my wits end with this!

Phoebe xx

• 1. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Sorry to hear of your frustration, Phoebe, but it would be helpful to us to know just what you mean by "loses quality when it is opened in Photoshop".

Is it that the image just has too few pixels in it?

Photoshop is primarily a pixel-based application - is it possible you're just not getting a high enough number of pixels in the conversion?  If that's the case, try increasing the ppi you're setting in Illustrator.  Unfortunately I've never used I'llustrator, so I don't know specifically how to advise you to do that in specific terms, but I'm betting getting a higher pixel count on the Photoshop side is your ticket to success.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
            conroy Level 5

Photoshop's rasterizing of vectors leaves much to be desired. It can ruin Illustrator artwork. Even if you copy vectors in Illustrator then opt to paste pixels in Photoshop, it won't help because Photoshop still rasterizes the vectors instead of using the automatic rasterization that accompanies the vectors in the clipboard.

Do explicit rasterizing in Illustrator, at the size and resolution that you require in Photoshop, then copy and paste that into Photoshop.

• 3. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
              Level 7

>> the automatic rasterization that accompanies the vectors in the clipboard.

If any is present on the clipboard (it usually isn't), then it is low resolution.

Generally rasterizing in Photoshop matches the artwork in Illustrator pretty closely.

But remember that in Photoshop you're rasterizing to your document's resolution - and 72dpi isn't going to look like print quality.

• 4. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
                conroy Level 5

Chris Cox wrote:

>> the automatic rasterization that accompanies the vectors in the clipboard.

If any is present on the clipboard (it usually isn't), then it is low resolution.

So what? When the raster is there, Photoshop doesn't use it, anyway! Photoshop (poorly) rasterizes the vectors even when you paste as pixels and the clipboard contains pixels.

The point is that Photoshop does not do a good rasterization. If you rasterize vectors in Illustrator at a given resolution, the result is better than Photoshop rasterizing the same vectors at the same resolution.

Generally rasterizing in Photoshop matches the artwork in Illustrator pretty closely.

But remember that in Photoshop you're rasterizing to your document's resolution - and 72dpi isn't going to look like print quality.

Well, of course not! What's the point of stating something as obvious as that?

• 5. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
                  Level 7

Because the raster on the clipboard would almost never be the right size or resolution. We can't use it.

Photoshop does great rasterization of PDF and EPS artwork - as good as, and sometimes better than, Illustrator and Acrobat.  There are differences due to different resolutions, and there are some documents that can't be rasterized well (like the InDesign tiled images).  But people use Photoshop as a high quality RIP for vector files all the time.

• 6. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
                    conroy Level 5

Chris Cox wrote:

Because the raster on the clipboard would almost never be the right size or resolution. We can't use it.

Come on, Chris, I'm not buttoned up the back.

You told me last month when I complained about the poor quality of "paste as pixels" that Photoshop uses the raster in the clipboard so the raster must be poor and not Photoshop's rasterizing of vectors.

Re: Ps CS6 Problem: Incorrect rendering of pasted Adobe Illustrator vector objects

Screen shot 2012-10-20 at 04.04.42.png

Now you say that Photoshop does not use the raster in the clipboard and does rasterize the vectors when "paste as pixels" is performed.

You can't have it both ways.

You've just confirmed what I said last month: Photoshop rasterizes the vectors even when pixels are present in the clipboard and "paste as pixels" is requested. Thank you.

• 7. Re: Illustrator file losing quality when opened in photoshop...please help!
                      Level 7

OK, I screwed up that previous post.  I think I was trying to type a longer explanation and messed up, ending up with something that parses, but isn't correct.