5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 3:19 PM by Kathy01096

Global find/change tab positions

Kathy01096

After creating a data merge document -- a directory of 700 individuals, with photos and text for each -- I was asked to adjust the position of a tab. Is there a way to make a global change using find/change?

• 1. Re: Global find/change tab positions
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not really. If each entry has a paragraph style applied, you just change it in the paragraph style - that's what they are there for.

If possible, you can use Find/Change to Find all of the entries for which you need to change the tabs, and in the Change field you just apply your character style.

If it's easy, I might just start fresh - make a paragraph style with the tab stops I wanted, then run a new merge. That most likely won't work for you, or you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

It may be easier to just step through the document and apply paragraph styles seven hundred times. I know that (after making the mistake of failing to use paragraph styling in jobs that I thought "didn't need that much effort") I became really fast at paging through the document and applying paragraph styles. It is helpful to know that you can apply a shortcut to a paragraph style by using the numpad and a modifier, i.e. control-numpad-1 for HeaderParaStyle, control-numpad-2 for BodyParaStyle, et cetera. If you are a deft mouser it's not hard to scroll, click, control-numpad, scroll, click, control-numpad 700 times.

• 2. Re: Global find/change tab positions
            Kathy01096 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, Joel. Hmmm... I am hopeful...  it sounds like I can search the document for the tab character and in the change field, apply a newly created style to the replacement tab character?

• 3. Re: Global find/change tab positions

Urk - I meant,

If possible, you can use Find/Change to Find all of the entries for which you need to change the tabs, and in the Change field you just apply your paragraph style.

Like so:

Untitled.png

So, any paragraph that has the text "Name" in it is going to have the "member name" paragraph style applied. I can then go in and edit the paragraph style - and I can check the "Preview" box at the bottom of the paragraph style definition box if I want to tweak the tab stops and see the effects of my tweaking in real-time.

• 4. Re: Global find/change tab positions
                Thanks for the feedback, Joel. Hmmm... I am hopeful...  it sounds like I can search the document for the tab character and in the change field, apply a newly created style to the replacement tab character?

Well if 100% of the paragraphs to which you need to apply the style have a tab character, and 0% of the paragraphs you must not change have a tab character, then heck yeah! Just drop the ^t into the Find field.

• 5. Re: Global find/change tab positions
                  Kathy01096 Level 1

Perfect, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone