4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2012 2:17 AM by Ann Bens

Analog Capture Settings??

Andrew M Clark Level 1

Hello -

I have miniDV tapes and and Hi-8 tapes that I'm going to edit with PPro CS6.

Should the Sequence Preset settings be different for each or could I just utilize the DV NTSC preset for both?

Reason I ask is because I used the DV NTSC preset for capturing a Hi-8 tape and it seemed OK with the execption of the bottom of the video frames. It looks like when a flim projector is not quite aligned and is showing a bit of the next field / frame??

I was thinking maybe I'm not using the correct Sequence Preset setting that may be causing this?!

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but it also seems that both the left and right sides of the video frames have a liitle more black area than it should.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ... and if there is a info. elsewhere about Sequence Preset settings for my situation, please by all means if you would provide the link / website, I'd greatly appreciate that too.

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Analog Capture Settings??
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can use the same DV preset for both.  What you're seeing are just the results of analog video errors.

• 2. Re: Analog Capture Settings??
            josephs51576386 Level 3

I don't have any experince using HI-8, however I'm going to assume the reason for the black being on the sides has to do with the fact that HI-8's is shot at a lower resolution than Mini-DV.So this is most likely why the black bars are on the sides. You may also want to check the field order of both clips although I'm going to assume they are both lower, however like I said I don't have experince with Hi-8 tapes, anyways though you can check this by right clicking the clips inside your bin and selecting modify>interpet then looking where it says "conform".  Check on both clips to verify their field order is matching because if you edit them in a sequence with the wrong field order it will appear wierd somewhat like you desribed. Also please check your footage resolution as well, generally speaking if I have lower resolution footage then I tend to edit in a sequence using the at the lowest resolution between all the files. However this depends on how big the resolution difference is and how the footage in question appears after scaling. You also will need to make sure the PAR matches you can check this by looking at the "Pixel aspect ratio" that is on the screen in the image below it's the same screen you can verify field order on. Most likely though depending on what program you captured everything in, you should be okay using a DV sequence, unless the footage from the HI-8 is just really low res.

Good luck

modify footage.PNG

• 3. Re: Analog Capture Settings??
              Stephen_Spider Level 3

Black columns would be the result of mixing 16x9 and 3x4, but a little black on the edges is just variance in analog formats or A\D conversion process..

• 4. Re: Analog Capture Settings??
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I still have a Dazzle in the storage closet just in case I ever decide to get around to converting my wedding video. I would have done it years ago except that I know I have to sync up the cassette tape that the minister recorded his voice on for us. Maybe for our 25th anniversary in about 20 months.

In any case, I remember having those noisy areas on the top and bottom. Generally zooming a little takes care of it. If you have black on the sides, you may have a pixel aspect ration problem. Once again, you might want to just stretch the video to fit a little if zooming to get rid of the noise didn't a;ready take care of it.

• 5. Re: Analog Capture Settings??
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the tapes are realy old and the divice its playing on is realy old, well yes you can get all kind of stuff around the edges.

Like said before just zoom in a little bit.