3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 12:45 PM by JJMack

How do I resolve an apparent PSD file conflict

Mike_W94107

I upgraded from CS5 to CS6 when it was released.  A couple of weeks ago I uninstalled both CS5 and an old version of Photoshop Elements v7 that had been on my machine. 

Even though I use CS6 I just noticed that when I look for or open a PSD file from CS6 that my PSD files are defined in the "Type" column as follows "PhotoshopElements.PSDFile.7"

I no longer have Elements 7 on my machine and I'm concerned that there might be an artifact from that old app that is being used by CS6 instead of current versions of PSD.

Has anybody encountered anything like this - any suggestions about how to confirm I am using only current CS6 PSD converions?

Environment:  Windows 7, CS6, Lightroom 4.

• 1. Re: How do I resolve an apparent PSD file conflict
          Luanne Seymour Adobe Employee

Hi. This forum is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop.  I'm moving your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum for specialized attention to your situation.

• 2. Re: How do I resolve an apparent PSD file conflict
            the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds as though Windows is still showing the PSD files as being associated with PSE 7.0. Have you gone to Windows Folder Options, and reset the File Type Association to PS CS6?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I resolve an apparent PSD file conflict
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Mike_W94107 wrote:

when I look for or open a PSD file from CS6 that my PSD files are defined in the "Type" column as follows "PhotoshopElements.PSDFile.7"

Am I correct what your referring to in the above statement is the description for PSD file types in your window's file explorer window details view.  If so that just a string that was added to the windows registry for the file explored and not removed and is now the default description for file type PSD.  The may have happened when you removed CS5 and it restored the previous description for it though the current one was Adobe Photoshop Image file 12.  and it replaced it with the one it hade replaced in your case "PhotoshopElements.PSDFile.7"

I have had a lot of problems removing old version of Photoshop using the normal uninstall process.  Problems were always related to Window registry updates made during the uninstall process.  These days I leave the registry out of it for the most part. I remove the uninstall entry in the registry for the versions I want to remove then just wipe the  Photoshop version install tree. I leave common file and registry intact.  I also left CS5 installed for there are just too many bugs in CS6.

Most likely if you just reinstall CS6 on top of itself you will loose nothing and the registry will be updated with CS6 description for PSD files which is "Adobe Photoshop Image 13"... You do no need to its just a description.