4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2012 10:45 PM by Manish-Sharma

Split Columns Within a List

Dylan Hamada

Hello,

I'm currently working on the questions page for a math textbook and have run into an impasse.

I'm trying to place a numbered list (which is a 3-split column) within another numbered list. However, I don't know how to do this. I'm attaching a screenshot.

Please note Questions 1-6. I am aiming to have the alphabetically numbered list sit on the same line as the numbered list. Both use paragraph styles which contain a list element, and not manual formatting with tabs, spaces, etc.

split_column_within_list.jpg

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Split Columns Within a List
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

There could be other techiniques as well but this how I did :-

Define 2 paragraph style :-

Paraghraph style 1 :- Under the "Bullet and numbering" section, have the Numerir Numbering at Level 1.

Define the formatting you want for the Question 7, 8 and 9.

Also, under "Indent and spacing" define "Space After" value.  --- This will bring the gap in the Numeric and Alphabetical section also gap between the paragraph.

Paragraph style 2 :-  Under the "Bullet and numbering" section to have the Numeric Numbering at Level 2 , change the format to have "a,b,c,d"

Define the formatting of text as you want to appear for the number in these options.

Under "Span Column" , Define "Split column" , Sub Column" value to be 3 and specify the gutter space and other settings as required.

When you want to use the Numeric numbering , say for Question 1 , 2 , 7 , 8 and 9 use the Paragraph style 1.

Then Switch to Paragraph Style 2 and type the numbers, (no need to type the alphabet for bulleting, they will be automatically added)

After you have typed the Third number set Ex:- C) 23,235 , press "Num Enter"(Enter key on Num Pad) for Column break , this will move the content to the next split column.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Split Columns Within a List
            Dylan Hamada Level 1

Hi Manish,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I tried your suggestion. The problem is, though, that I can only reduce the "Space After" value for Paragraph Style 1 to 0, which still doesn't bring the two lines (Paragraph Style 1 on top, Paragraph Style 2 on bottom) to the same line.

I found a work-around just now. If I adjust the baseline shift to a higher value for Paragraph Style 2, it will move it vertically higher.

If anyone has a more "proper" fix, please let me know.

Thanks again, Manish!

• 3. Re: Split Columns Within a List
              Dylan Hamada Level 1

After using my quick fix above, I've realized it leads to more work. Because I adjust one line's baseline, the line below that one must be adjusted to a greater degree, and the one below that, to an even greater degree, etc.

I'm stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

• 4. Re: Split Columns Within a List
                Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

The problem is, though, that I can only reduce the "Space After" value for Paragraph Style 1 to 0, which still doesn't bring the two lines (Paragraph Style 1 on top, Paragraph Style 2 on bottom) to the same line.

This statement has bit confused me.......

As per the screen shot you provided in the OP the numbered list should look like :-

1.   --->(Paragraph style 1 applied)

a) 23,325                                             d) 665,987     -->(Paragraph style 2 applied to all)

b) 34,980                                             e) 678,879

c) 64,765 (Num Pad enter)                    f) 32,768

The 1.(Paragraph style 1) has been defined as the level 1 numbered list which make it more align to the left edge of the page however the alphabetic list (Paragraph style 2) has been defined as level 2 because of which it has moved it towards the right a bit.

So, would appreciate if you could provide the screen shot of end result and what exactky you are looking for, so that I can help you.