6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2012 6:28 PM by Jim_Simon

Export from PP or Media Encoder?

web.boards Level 1

For exporiting, why would I want to export through Media Encoder instead of directly with the Export button? Do they both use the same quality codecs?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Export from PP or Media Encoder?
          ExactImage Level 3

I've found that exporting straight from Pr is faster every time.  However, when I need to queue lots of exports, or a single sequence exported to several different codecs / sizes then media encoder is the way to go because I can queue them all up and leave them to run over night.

If you are exporting a single sequence to a single export file then use Pr and be happy

Media Encoder versions earlier than CS6 don't appear to have access to the GPU acceleration, which for me was a problem because the resizing algorythms on the GPU are far better than CPU only.   I haven't had the chance to test ME CS6 but I'm told it can now use the GPU.  Perhaps others could chime in here and let us know what they found on this....

• 2. Re: Export from PP or Media Encoder?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

AME has always had GPU acceleration, so long as the project settings in PP for that were turned on.

• 3. Re: Export from PP or Media Encoder?
              ExactImage Level 3

Well..... that may or may not be true..... but using the GPU monitor on both windows and mac and exporting from Premiere Pro (CS5 and 5.5) and from AME had totally different results, with the same project settings (and took a lot longer too).    From Premiere Pro the GPU usage was around 30%.  AME GPU usage was 0%.

Also, I got a lot more aliasing on DVDs when using AME and not Premiere Pro, again indicating the GPU was not being used, all with the same project settings (GPU on).

Now, if all that's fixed I'd be a happy camper becauser I could just queue the DVDs along with the Blu-ray and web H264 and walk away

• 4. Re: Export from PP or Media Encoder?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

using the GPU monitor

That may not be the best way to test.  Generally you need to export twice, once with acceleration on, and once with it off.  If you see a time difference, you know it's working.  AME CS5 had no issues using GPU acceleration.

There are some operations that will revert to CPU processing in AME, even when GPU acceleration is on, whereas with a Direct Export, you get the GPU for all operations that normally use it.

• 5. Re: Export from PP or Media Encoder?
                  ExactImage Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

There are some operations that will revert to CPU processing in AME, even when GPU acceleration is on, whereas with a Direct Export, you get the GPU for all operations that normally use it.

Well, since the GPU monitor is an external program that seems to monitor the GPU usage with every program I have, it's hard to see why it would decide to always show 0% with AME

However, let's suppose you are correct (I'm about to run some more tests since this peaked my interest again), what operations will AME defauilt back to the CPU instead of using the GPU?  Where can I find this list?

Every time I've done the test with and without GPU, the time to export in AME has been the same.

• 6. Re: Export from PP or Media Encoder?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Todd mentioned a scenario or two a while back, before CS6 even came out, but I don't recall the specifics.  The only vague memory I have is when interlaced footage is involved.