5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 6:04 PM by Harm Millaard

Low CPU/GPU/Disk loads

Asahart-XEvNWS

Hello! I'm a somewhat long-term reader and first time poster. I'm using Adobe Premiere CS6 and After Effects CS6, running on Windows 7 64 Pro.

My problem: On rendering/exporting I get ~10-40% CPU load, ~5% GPU load and around 0 - 10 mb/sec on disks.

I'm running MPE on and I've tried using 1 or 2 disks (reading/writing on a different disks). But I can't figure out where's the bottleneck. I've read Harm's really nice posts about tweaking my PC, so i've indexing etc. turned off, along all useless stuff.

I get 8 in Windows Performance test for everything else but HDs, where I get 5,9. I've run benchmark test with HD Tune-Pro for my HDs and I get decent results. I've defragged my HDs and so on. I tried to run PPBM6 test but for some reason the script didn't work for me.

Disk setup:

1T Samsung:

C:\ win+programms

D:\ Ppro files

0,5T WD:

E:\ Export + Backup.

I assume the problem is my HDs and especially reading/writing at the same time. So I suppose the solution would be getting extra HDs, but i'm just so blown away that even the disk load is soo small.

Thank you for your time & help!

-Teo

Finland

My hardware:

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
      CPU PSN : Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
      CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2), EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX
      CPUID : 6.A.7 / Extended : 6.2A
      CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 4 x 256 KB
      CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
      Core : Sandy Bridge (32 nm) / Stepping : D2

Freq : 2594.06 MHz (99.77 * 26)

MB Brand : ASRock
      MB Model : Z68 Pro3
      NB : Intel Sandy Bridge rev 09
      SB : Intel Z68 rev B3

GPU1 Type : Intel HD Graphics 3000 (GT2+)
      GPU1 Clocks : Core 850 MHz / RAM 0 MHz
      GPU2 Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
      GPU2 Clocks : Core 940 MHz / RAM 3004 MHz
      DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 16384 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
      RAM Speed : 665.2 MHz (1:5) @ 9-9-9-24

HD1: Samsung HD193SJ 1000G

HD2: WDC WD5000AADS-00M2B 500G

• 1. Re: Low CPU/GPU/Disk loads
          teo p

For some reason above message shows its been posted by Duj dujoux, but it should say it's posted by me and thus I can't edit it.

I just wanted to add that I'm editing DSLR video (Canon 5D MkII) but the situation was same with PPBM6 test.

• 2. Re: Low CPU/GPU/Disk loads
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The WEI s*cks. It is a lousy performance indicator. Imagine this score on the WEI:

WEI Momster.png

Looks good, right?

Well, it is not. It is disappointing with regards to primary disk, to GPU and it does not mention how these figures were achieved.

In short, it means nothing.

• 3. Re: Low CPU/GPU/Disk loads
              JFPhoton Level 3

...saw your old post. Are you still having problems?? Your drive setup seems less than ideal.  500GB drive should be your "C" drive...with OS, Programs, and Windows pagefile ONLY!!  DO NOT PARTITION any disks....will cause worse performance. Once up and running, PPro DOES NOT benefit from a faster "C" drive.

For fastest performance, create 2 separate onboard RAID 0 arrays, ( one for project files and all media....to serve up the source material in a fast manner), then, the second for : media cache,cache, and previews).

Your 1 TB drive can be used for original source material,( that you copy onto RAID 1 for editing performance).....this way, you have a good backup. Also, you can use the 1TB drive for exports,but, exporting should be faster if you export to the 2nd RAID array....then move, or copy, to  1 TB drive.

In addition, overclocking your CPU should definitely increase performance, and esp. for CS6, putting maximum amount of memory helps.

Other concerns : do you have the most recent NVidia driver installed?? You said you are running MPE, so it looks like you turned the onboard intel graphics off in the MOBO BIOS, right ??  And you are able to select between "software and hardware" MPE because the card is enabled,right? Turn off all real-time virus scanning programs and unnecessary programs and processes.

So, 4 new HDDs should help you,or, a new 256GB minimum SSD for OS, programs and pagefile.......then, 3 more matching WD500GB HDDs to complete 2 onboard RAID 0's  !!!

**** just looked up your drives : you have a typo, I believe..... the  Samsung should be a 103SJ...not "193SJ' ,correct? That drive is great....Tom's Hardware tested it at 150MB/sec. read, and 142MB/sec. write....even though it is SATA II, not III!!

FORGET THE WESTERN DIGITAL YOU HAVE!!!!.  It is a crappy, slow "Green" drive, which should never be used for video editing!!  That drive could be the source of your problems....it has many bad reviews at New Egg.

So, you need : one fast SATA III SSD for OS, programs, and pagefile....then, 4 matching HDDs to create the 2 onboard RAID 0's.......get out your wallet!!!

• 4. Re: Low CPU/GPU/Disk loads
                teo p Level 1

Thank you for your reply JFPhoton!

About your questions: Yes, i've latest NVidia drivers installed and MPE is working. I'm not sure overclocking my CPU with the fan i've now, which is the one that came with the CPU, but I'll definetly look into that.

And I actually already did what you suggested: I got RAID0, just one atm though 2 x 1T barracudas because we don't have ANY samsungs where I live, I suppose because of the flood or something (and I got SSD for my OS/programs, which is really sweet btw). And yes, my problems are gone now. I think I could use another raid0 though as you suggested. So, i'm more than pleased to read your reply.

It's actually funny that it's not so widely known what kind of a bottleneck HD's are. Ie. one of my friends, who's studying computer science,  said to me (and gave some links to reviews) that Raid0 doesn't actually help you at all, and I suppose that's the case when you're reading/writing lots of small files, but the situation is totally different when you're reading/writing HUGE files.

-Teo

• 5. Re: Low CPU/GPU/Disk loads
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Teo,

It's actually funny that it's not so widely known what kind of a bottleneck HD's are. Ie. one of my friends, who's studying computer science,  said to me (and gave some links to reviews) that Raid0 doesn't actually help you at all, and I suppose that's the case when you're reading/writing lots of small files, but the situation is totally different when you're reading/writing HUGE files.

With video editing it is all about sustained transfer rate of your disk setup, and often mainly about sequential reading speeds. Writing is done when rendering previews or exporting, but mainly it is about reading source files (huge amounts of data, depending on the codec in use) for displaying on the timeline or encoding for export.

I have been preaching for a long time that HDD's are often THE MAIN bottleneck in general systems. Not enough disks to spread the load, bottlenecked by the half-duplex nature of the SATA connection, etc. In my experience sustained transfer rates are immensely important for performance of an editng system. I have written a couple of articles about Raids, a number of them can be found in the FAQ section (I'm typing this from another system and don't have the links readily available) so have a look at some of them. Might be interesting reading, especially for your friend.

If you look at Reflections and scroll down a bit, you will see some graphs of transfer rates on my new system. It will show you what I mean and if you then take into consideration my first place on the PPBM Top-20 Performers chart about RPI and Disk I/O, the matter about disk performance becomes very clear IMO.