Again, I'm new to Fireworks...let me know if I'm totally off
base here. Before I start, I'm using Fireworks CS3 and Dreamweaver
CS3 as part of Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium. I use an iMac
running OS 10.5.2, Leopard.
I've just finished designing a new Fireworks navigation bar
for my company's website. The HTML exports and integrates into the
existing pages just fine (so far.) I'm in the process of testing
each page with the new Fireworks HTML to see if anything goes nuts
before I take it live.
Here's where I might be delusional. I insert the HTML into a
page, then use the "edit in Fireworks" option in DW to change the
default state of one button using the "show in 'down' state on
load" option (depending on which page is currently up.) I've
noticed that although I can use the "edit in Fireworks" option to
do other things (minor spacing issues for example) with marginal
success...FW is not reflecting the "down state" changes in DW at
all. I swear I've done this before and it's worked, though!
When I'm in the midst of making these changes and "preview"
in FW, everything works as it should. However, as soon as I hit
"done", no updates are reflected in the DW page...nor are they
saved in the original FW HTML when I go back and check.
If I'm completely wrong, what would be the best way to
reflect a "down state on load" button for each page of the website?
Do I need to make the changes, re-save the files, and re-export
I just worked through this exact same issue today so I'm glad
to help. The easy answer is that when you are exporting the html to
Dreamweaver you need to check 'Multiple Nav Bar HTML Pages' in the
'Document Specific' tab (under the options button in my Fireworks
As far as I can tell, you end up with a nav bar for each of
your links and then have to import those each to your pages which
doesn't help when using templates. I'm hoping I can find a
different answer to that one.
Unfortunately I got impatient and essentially did the same
thing manually. I re-saved the .png file with different states of
"down" and exported just the .html file. Since all the nav bars
pull the same images, it worked like a charm. :)
Next time I overhaul the nav bar, I'll try the easy way.