6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 5:21 PM by bluzdawg

Getting a good Audio mix

bluzdawg

SPOILER ALERT - rookie here...

..it's getting better, but i've had some difficulties getting a good final audio output.   There are 2 tracks, dialog and "background" music,

and i basically mix to bring up the dialog sometimes, (while also reducing the music), or vice versa, depending on the clip.

I'm using the audio mixer with the "Touch" method of automation.  Actually, my first burn had an acceptable "mix", although

the ENTIRE level was too low, so i remixed, turning down my computer speakers,  and running each track a little hotter.  I'm a little

confused as to which meter i should be watching - the master meter in the mixer, or the meter that appears alongside the

timeline, which seems to vary somewhat.   If i use the timeline meter, it's hard to get it UP to -12db, and the audio mixer meter

doesn't seem to be adjustable.    Often, the audio 1 dialog  can be pretty high, but the output volume just isn't a lot. 

I've also played with the normalize track feature, and discovered that if i set it at, say "-8db",

it churns for awhile and gives me an errmsg regarding having to go to 0db, therefore not possible.  I've been through a few tuts

but not finding some of the fundamentals i think i need to get this right.  In short, the mix is pretty good, it's just that the final output

level seems too low.   (I have to play it at about 85 % volume on the dvd player).   MAYBE this is much ado about nothing, and

it's all perfectly normal, but i don't know enough yet to know one way or the other.    After working with vectorscopes and RGB parades

for awhile, i find it comforting for the system to tell me if it's correct, instead of relying on my own observation, although i guess that's

what needs to prevail at the end of the day/   

• 1. Re: Getting a good Audio mix
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The meter next to the timeline is identical to the Master meter in the Mixer.  Use either to get a sense of overall levels.

To make the whole thing louder without remixing, just nest the sequence and add some gain to the audio.

• 2. Re: Getting a good Audio mix
            bluzdawg Level 1

Jim - OK, thanks - i think - not real sure what to nest it into, (just a "blank"?) and as i understand it the gain is the INput level - (?) and

not sure how that's controlled at all - it seems at this point, all i can manipulate is the output..... In the meantime,

the second burn of the dvd gave me a much better overall output, being "TV commercial loud" when played

at only about 65-70% max volume.     I've also revised my editing situation to turning off my computer's surround sound,

etc, to more evenly match the eventual playback situation., which in theis case is community television, so the main concern

is "even-ness" at whatever level, since they excercise some further control.

• 3. Re: Getting a good Audio mix
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Nesting means adding one sequence to a second sequence, just as if that first sequence was an ordinary video clip.

Gain is added by right clicking on the clip.  You'll see the option there.

• 4. Re: Getting a good Audio mix
                josephs51576386 Level 3

Using the audio gain feature is for sure the easiest method of turning an entire sequence up, just as Jim correctly described by nesting everything then turning the gain up.

One thing I'd really recommend though taking a look at using in the future is a compressor. Once I started using one for my audio levels I found that it made my life extremely easy. Once you have it setup correctly it will raise your lows and lower your peaks for you. Basically what it does is reduce volume once it reaches a certain threshold. Then using the makeup gain option it also adds gain to the audio. I generally just apply the dynamics effect to entire audio tracks. The other great part about the dynamics effect is that it has a limiter on it as well. Which is wonderful because you can set a limit of -10db for example and it won't allow anything to go over that point. So it makes it very easy to achieve consistent audio levels. So normally I always put a dynamics effect on my master track, with only the limiter enabled. So that nothing can go over whatever value I set. Then I use the dynamics effect using the compressor/makeup gain only as needed for the rest of the tracks. However depending on what your exact needs are that setup may or may not make since for you. I really think that it sounds like using this effect could be helpful for you though, so you might want to try it out.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Getting a good Audio mix
                  bluzdawg Level 1

OK, after a quick review of nesting by Andrew Devis, got that accomplished - and bumped up the audio gain by 3 db

which i determined by just taking a stab at it, and that does the job.  I'm assuming i can now just link to Encore

and produce my dvd with overall volume improved.  Maybe another gain level would be better?    And i can now

hear the "submix" tut playing, and assume that submixing would give me sort of the same effect a different way?

Sort of....

Anyway, appreciate the simple solutions.  This just keeps getting more fun....

• 6. Re: Getting a good Audio mix
                    bluzdawg Level 1

CN25 - yeah, i had run across that "Dynamic" effect, and haven't had time to explore that enough - i'll have to load in

a short sequence and play with it - wow, so many toys, so little time....but it does sound pretty useful   Maybe i'll

finally get some more video of guitar pickin' so i can overdrive the inputs and then play "whisper" just to see how

the compressor/limiter booster(?) stuff works.    on my production videos (travelogs) i generally have a pretty static audio

situuation  dialog over back ground music - however, the next sequence is a museum tour, and i'm not sure what

music to put under it -