6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2012 5:32 PM by the_wine_snob

NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.

rode40 Level 1

Can't get sound with any .avi files.  Have downloade various codecs but don't think I have the correct one.  Here is a screenshot of the audio codecs installed on my PC (Dell Inspiron 531 Windows 7):-

AUDIO CODECS Greenshot_2012-10-22_20-07-30.png

From a previous thread I think I need a DV codec. 

Regards

Royston Harris

• 1. Re: NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Downloading "various codecs" is not a good thing to do... depending on what you downloaded, you MAY have corrupted your computer (I have read reports that k-lite has messed things up so badly that a hard drive format and re-install of everything is needed)

The FIRST thing to do is determine what codec is inside the AVI files

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
          What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811
          What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
          Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen

shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing
          http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30
          For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
          For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

• 2. Re: NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.
            rode40 Level 1

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.  I have read Bill Hunts document but a lot of it is a wee bit technical for me.  This is the situation.

I have .avi video files from my own camcorder none of which will play sound.  I also have a few .avi files from an unknown source (possibly through playing about with some aspect of PrEl) that will play sound, examples as follows, video clips 000079 to 000104

VIDEO FILES 000079 TO 000103 Greenshot_2012-10-25_11-45-26.png

When I examine these with Gspot they show the audio codec as PCM Audio so is this the codec I should install in order to play my own .avi files? )which do not show any audio codec when I look at them with Gspot) and where can I get it?  I have searched the internet extensively but can't find a simple download. A list of the audo codecs installed on my desktop is shown above from a previous posting.

I just need a simple explanation of what I need to do to rectify the problem.  Please accept my apologies if I appear to be somewhat pedantic on this issue and I do appreciate how you have all tried to help me thus far.

Regards

Royston Harris

PS Don't know whether this has any relevance but one thing I have tried is transferring some of my .avi files to my laptop to see whether they will play sound but I get same result:- no audio codec appearing in Gspot.

• 3. Re: NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.
              rode40 Level 1

John

PS. Subsequent to my last posting I have re read the full thread and note that on August 30th Bill Hunt recommended the Vista Codec pack which has just started me thinking.  I have Windows 7 and Microsoft have a codec pack for this version.  Should I install this to see if it will resolve my audio issue?

Rgds

Royston harris

• 4. Re: NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Royston,

First PCM is WAV Audio, and is uncompressed. Basically, it is as "pure" as it gets, and because there is no decompression required to play it, you should not need anything in addition to what you have with your OS.

I would never install any CODEC "pack," unless I bought it (say from a company like MainConcept), or downloaded it from MicroSoft. I have zero trust in any others. I also only install specific CODEC's, when I need them.

Borrowing from your other thread, I recall a G-Spot screen-cap of one of your files (I assume that it is one of the problem files?), and in that screen-cap, there was no Audio shown in the file being displayed. Is that one of the problem files? You mention that G-Spot showed PCM as the Audio CODEC, but I would assume that the file, to which you are referring, is another file, and obviously one that DOES contain an Audo Stream. Is that correct?

As a test, I would download either VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC (both free, and very good players - much better than WMP, or Apple's QT Player). Both contain most common CODEC's, both Video and Audio, and if one's OS does not have the proper CODEC installed, those players will use their own. Note: they do not contain ALL possible CODEC's, but do have most of the common ones. Test one of your problem files, one that DOES have an Audio Stream, as shown by G-Spot, or MediaInfo, and see if Audio does play in them.

As a sidenote, I see that you have FFDShow installed. Did you install any CODEC packs, such as K-Lite? FFDShow is often installed with a CODEC pack. It has been known to mess up several Adobe programs, however, one trusted contributor here, Neale, has FFDShow installed, and everything works well. It even solved one of his playback issues. Because of experiences with it, and other Adobe programs, it's one of my "usual suspects," but as Neale reports it working perfectly with his PrE, it is NOT poison - but has caused issues for some others. If nothing else is working for you, you might want to create a System Restore Point for now, and then Uninstall FFDShow, and test. At the worst, you will have lost a few minutes, as you can use that System Restore Point to get back to where you are now. Just a test.

Please let us know how VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC handles your file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.
                  rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill

Thanks for replying so quickly.  There's a lot there for me to get through.  May be a while before I can update you on progress so please bear with me.

In the meantime I feel inclined to take the "easy" route by installing Microsoft's Windows 7 codec pack in the hope that this will cure the problem.

WINDOWS 7 CODEC PACKGreenshot_2012-10-27_21-08-47.png

Should I firstly un-install any other codecs packs from my system?  I wasn't aware that some codec packs could cause problems.

Your advice on the above would be appreciated.

Regards

Royston Harris

• 6. Re: NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING WINDOWS MEDIA AVI FILES.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

At this point, I would leave existing CODEC's alone. The only CODEC packs that I personally recommend are those from MS, MainConcept, or similar companies. I run from any "free" CODEC packs.

Good luck,

Hunt