4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 9:28 AM by Bibo Photo

Paper profile setting issues

Bibo Photo Level 1

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but my searches aren't yielding results..  I usually make my custom paper profiles on a PC, but need to do some on a Mac (OS 10.6). I can make the custom profiles with either an i1 Profiler or a Colormunki Photo.  I'm printing on a canon 9500 mark 2, and there seems to be no way to manually turn off the color management when printing the test charts.  The i1 does give me the option of saving the chart and printing it through Photoshop, but that doesn't seem to solve the issue.  I've looked through multiple settings and can't find the off setting.  I understand this is an issue, but I've heard there is a way to do it.  I just can't find it.  I apologize if this has become an annoying question, but can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Doug

• 1. Re: Paper profile setting issues
          Louis Dery Level 1

Hello,

here is the information I thinks you are looking for…

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-color-management-option-missing.html

Louis

• 2. Re: Paper profile setting issues
            Bibo Photo Level 1

Since it gives me no options to change settings (Color matching settings are greyed out) I assume it is turning things off.  Seems like a lot of trouble just to get an “off” option.   Thank you very much for your assistance.

Doug

• 3. Re: Paper profile setting issues
              Louis Dery Level 1

Hello Doug,

This tool has been made to print a profiling target without any color management. Once this is done (printing the target and create de profile), you simply go to Photoshop and use the new profile.

It is quite simple.

Louis

• 4. Re: Paper profile setting issues
                Bibo Photo Level 1

Louis,

I understand the process (PC – now Mac).  My comment was meant to suggest that Apple – and possibly Canon – need to get their act(s) together.  Probably in an attempt to make things more user friendly, they’ve removed a needed tool.  Using a profile is easier on the Mac, but making one is easier on the PC.  On the PC you print the test patches straight from the profiling software ( or other software) and simply turn off color management.  There is no need to involve any other software. The need for an extra piece of software is the over complication.  If there were an “off” button when using the Mac, there would be no need to use this special tool.  In my field – photography – Mac’s are currently considered the standard.  It just seems they’ve dropped the ball on this critical aspect of the process by not having the “off” option.

Sorry for the soap box.

Thanks for the help.

Doug