14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 2:45 PM by jimizt

Animation problems in cs6

wsmmk

When I rotate a layer in one frame in cs6 animation it rotates it in all frames in either timeline. How do I stop that from happening

• 1. Re: Animation problems in cs6
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What makes you think this is not the intended behaviour?

• 2. Re: Animation problems in cs6
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Quote from the Reference (under »Frame animation workflow«):

6. Edit the layers for the selected frame.

Do any of the following:

Turn visibility on and off for different layers.

Change the position of objects or layers to make layer content move.

Change layer opacity to make content fade in or out.

Change the blending mode of layers.

Add a style to layers.

Photoshop provides tools for keeping characteristics of a layer the same across frames. See Unifying layer properties in

animation frames.

It is not stated that rotation is an animate-able feature.

In any case repeated (non-multiple-of-90˚) rotations can deteriorate image quality, so you may want to consider using Smart Objects and their instances for this.

• 3. Re: Animation problems in cs6
              Luanne Seymour Adobe Employee

Hi. This forum is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop.  I'm moving your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum for specialized attention to your situation.

• 4. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                wsmmk Level 1

I have done quite a bit of animation using cs4 without the same problem. I used rotation as an example but I found any move of a layer that I have to answer apply the transformation, changes all the frames, but a layer move that doesn't require the apply the transformation button -only chages the present frame. To me is it is a very annoying glitch that greatly inhibits animation. Try it yourself with a simple animation.

• 5. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

To me is it is a very annoying glitch that greatly inhibits animation.

It is not a glitch, you seem to be expecting functionality that is just not there and Adobe makes no claim that it is there (see the quote from the reference).

This seems to be another case of a user wondering why things work as the documentation clearly states instead of the way they would want them to.

If you are serious about animation you may be using a Tool that is not the perfect fit for the task.

Anyway, you could use a Smart Object’s instances as individual Layers for a Frame Animation.

• 6. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I have done quite a bit of animation using cs4 without the same problem.

I may have misunderstood and assumed you were talking about Frame Animation because you mentioned »frame«, but in Timeline Animation it is possible to animate the rotation of a Smart Object.

Edit: The Panel also indicates »Transform« for SO instead of »Position« for regular pixel layers.

• 7. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                      wsmmk Level 1

Thanks for the replies, as a self-taught amateur, I tend to want to continue the way I've been doing photoshop stuff for the past 10 yrs.[moving layers from frame to frame] I checked out the puppet warp last night which is very cool.

• 8. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

moving layers from frame to frame

If its just the position and not a rotation you can still do that in Frame Animation.

• 9. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                          wsmmk Level 1

I know, but moving an arm without rotating it to reconnect it to the shoulder is difficult. When I do it my old way, the arm in all the previous frames rotates also. I guess I was hoping Adobe would fix it, so I could do it my old way- making one of a kind fun little animations to share with family.

• 10. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Are you sure you did not use individual layers for the Frames?

• 11. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                              wsmmk Level 1

No, I definately didn't use layers as frames. I had tried that but led to very complicated layer keeping. I would simply move a layer with all the transform tools and it would only change in that frame. I don't know how easy it would to install cs4 onto my present 64bit computer. I was thinking on calling Adobe support to see what they say.

Here's a link to animation I made a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAd5BqGZ4U

• 12. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                                jimizt Level 1

Convert it to a smart object! You now have "transform" instead of "position" as an animatable property. For a 360 degree rotation you need a keyframe for every 180 degrees (3 keyframes) or 90 degrees (5 keyframes) depending on the shape. Hope this helps. I am using CS6 Extended at the moment.

• 13. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                                  wsmmk Level 1

Thanks jimizt for replying. I tried what you recommended, but still have the problem that if I try to "transform" a smart object in one frame of a frame animation, the object changes in each of the prior frames. It didn't do that in cs4. Luckily I have the creative suite and have moved on to animating in After Effects. Maybe I wouldn't have the same problem in the video timeline in photoshop extended cs6, but I've already gotten used to the video timeline in after effects. For a quick GIF animation the frame animation in photoshop was great. I spent much time unsuccessfully trying to solve my problem and now have moved on

• 14. Re: Animation problems in cs6
                                    jimizt Level 1

Yeah this would only work in the timeline mode not frame by frame. AFX is the way to go but CS6 does offer very quick and basic animation and smart object rotation. Good luck.