2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 8:52 AM by Szalam

New to Ae [Trial]

blackmagic35

Hi there! I have a pretty crazy imagination, and I've always had so many ideas about videos and whatnot -- but I was always limited due to video editing software, that or not being able to understand the software o.o;; So I'm hoping to find a software that doesn't require me to be some sort of video editing major.. but still let me do things such as motion tracking, and video-in-a-video scenarios.

Basically I'm trying to make some youtube videos. Motion tracking is a must! Therefore Ae seems to be the right choice, but I'm running into so many problems.. if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated. Remember, I'm pretty new to video editing -- I've been using windows movie maker (bleh!) so.. if you can pretend your talking to a five-year-old, that'd be awesome

I installed the trial to see if this was the software for me, and I threw in some video clips.. but when I preview the clips, it's all slow and choppy. I left it to render (I think it's called? With the green and blue bars over it in the timeline?) overnight and it just wouldn't stop rendering! Then I used render preview I think it's called? Where you hit 0 on the numpad but.. that just leaves me still with a slow choppy video. I dunno. Anyway, the next thing I run into now is not being able to view past thirty seconds. It won't let me scroll the timeline, so I can't see it! It'll just loop the first thirty seconds when it's a three minute video. ): Confused!

Finally, at one point in the video I want to do a sort of 'video-in-a-video' kinda thing, where a guy is looking at a paper -- a paper which I want a second video to appear in over it. And I need the video to stay on that paper while the guy is moving around. How to achieve this, gosh, I'm clueless. I managed at one point to affix the second video over the paper, but I'm trying to figure out how to keep the video over the paper instead of following the guy around.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: New to Ae [Trial]
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

blackmagic35 wrote:

...I'm hoping to find a software that doesn't require me to be some sort of video editing major.. but still let me do things such as motion tracking, and video-in-a-video scenarios.

... I'm pretty new to video editing -- I've been using windows movie maker (bleh!) so.. if you can pretend your talking to a five-year-old, that'd be awesome...

I installed the trial to see if this was the software for me, and I threw in some video clips...Confused!

Well, sir or madam five-year-old, I'm not surprised one bit that you're confused.  You've downloaded perhaps the most feature-packed and detail-reliant piece of multimedia software on the market.

You can NOT pick up a couple of tricks to use in AE with a guarantee of success.  You can NOT expect to use AE intuitively and expect success.  That's just the nature of the application.  I'm not joking: many have tried to do so and many got frustrated and gave up.  That's a shame because it's great software.

You need patience to use After Effects, because you nave to learn the basics.  Here is an excellent source for learning those basics.

And don't expect to get everything overnight.  AE knowledge is a journey, not a couple of lessons.

• 2. Re: New to Ae [Trial]
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just so you don't think that Dave's alone on this one, I thought I'd chime in.

In computer programs, a general rule is that the ease of use is inversly proportional to the power of a program - and After Effects is a very powerful program.

Now, the tasks you are asking about may appear to be fairly simple - HOWEVER, they rely on a fairly well-developed skill set as a foundation. You absolutely can not just start poking around in After Effects and figure things out or just learn a few things in it that will make you successful. There is a reason some of us get paid a liveable wage for using this software. Dave has pointed you to a great beginning resource. Here's another (note, this series does continue beyond what's linked on this page, so check the rest out when you finish with these).