6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 2:39 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Dell computer for Premiere Pro

Pichal B

Hi,

I've been given a budget of 2000 euro to get myself a new computer for editing mainly hd 1070p native avchd AE & Premiere. We get a discount at work for -30% on dell computers so instead of building one i want looking for one on the dell site.

Reading other topics on this forum i noticed most people would not but a station with a quadro 4000 but get a gtx 6xx one instead.

I came up with this workstation

Dell™ Precision™ T3600 (Essential)

win7 64b

Intel® Xeon® E5-1620 processor (Quad Core, 3,6 GHz, 10 MB cache, to 1.600 MHz
      8 GB (4 x 2 GB) 1.600 MHz ECC RDIMM DDR3
      2 GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000
      2x 500 GB 3,5" Seriële ATA-hard drive (7.200 rpm)

635w base

Is this a decent build or em i better to get a other system or even get a Alienware instead that uses the gtx fxcards.

I'm a complete rookie at this so really have no idea what to get for this money.

• 1. Re: Dell computer for Premiere Pro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You would need a better CPU, what Dell would call an octo core like the E5-26xx, more memory, at least 16 GB but preferably 32 GB, better disk setup, not two slow 500 GB disks with only 8 MB cache, a better video card like the GTX 660 Ti, not a three generations old, slow and overpriced Quadro 4000 card. At Dell you will be hard pressed to find anything in that budget range. Maybe if you increase the budget to € 5000+ can you find something halfway decent.

• 2. Re: Dell computer for Premiere Pro
            Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Pichal b ,

Harm's recommendation is worthwhile considering. We have been using a Dell T5500 XEON for three years with a Nvidia Quadro FX3800, Raid0, 16GB Ram with 1TB hard drives at 15,000 rpm, and of course there are better configurations , but, using Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 , it has been trouble free and very fast especially burning HD 1920 x 1080p blu-ray and export ( using a Quad Core and only 2.27Ghz Processors) to pro tape which we use at times.

Conected to a Dell Precision M6600 for field work transfer it is a joy to use .

Their professional business 24hour 7 days a week back up is very fast and effective

• 3. Re: Dell computer for Premiere Pro
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Harm's and Bob's replies are perfect for someone who edits at least a few hours a day.  If you only edit a few hours a week, the configuration is just fine.

• 4. Re: Dell computer for Premiere Pro

Yes Alex,

He should get away with that, I agree, it is a bit like playing tennis with a new racquet, they all do a pretty good job.

• 5. Re: Dell computer for Premiere Pro
                  Pichal B Level 1

I changed the build a bit, dell has it own suggested workstations with adobe certification and started from that base.

-Xeon 6core 3.2ghz 12mb cache 1.600Mhz (the e5-26xx seems a bit overkill for what I do)

-16g ram

-quadro 4000, the gtx660i sounded better but wer not able to change the dell setup- might upgrade this one later and plce this into one of my other stations.

- ssd start-up and programm disc

-1TB drive 1,2000 rmp

So i upped the core, ram, drive and added a ssd start-up drive.

@Alex; indeed it will not be used daily, maily depends on the tasks I get.

Might upgrade the ram to 32g but gonne see how it runs on the 16g first.

• 6. Re: Dell computer for Premiere Pro

That looks pretty good .Dell build very good Precision Workstations at a price, you cannot go wrong. Get the Pro support if you can . So much better than the Dell Pentium 32 bit , hyper-threaded 3.4 Ghz, I started with 7 years ago, but then we only had HD  1440 x 1080 tape. The newer codecs H.264 etc are now easy to edit, and the Mercury Engine and stabilization in CS5.5.2 and 6 is amazing.