5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 10:00 PM by jimcarls

How to match two different std res widescreen cameras

jimcarls

I've got existing wide-screen footage from two different mini-DV cameras that have different approaches to producing widescreen. One is a "true" wide-screen sensor while I believe the other simulates it, although the latter is a slightly better quality camera. When I imported a sample from the first, it created a wide-screen project, but when I imported the second, I get a wide-screen shot with black bars on all sides of the image. I seem to remember that when I edited footage from the same two cameras with Premier Elements 3, I did not have this problem. Oddly enough, if I display the properties of each clip, the resolutions on the two images are identical, altough the pixel aspect ratios are not (see image below). My question is: What is the most efficient way to get a decent matched between these two sources (they represent parallel tracks that will be crosscut). I can crop out the black area and zoom the second camera, but I suspect that I won't like the results when I export test footage. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

video comparison.jpg

• 1. Re: How to match two different std res widescreen cameras
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You'll need to enlarge the fake widescreen about 30% to have it fill the screen.

You can do this by changing Scale in the Motion properties. How you do this depends on which version of the program you're using.

In version 11, this property is adjusted in Applied Effects.

• 2. Re: How to match two different std res widescreen cameras

Although, if your fake widescreen seems compressed or squished, you should right-click on these clips on your timeline and change the pixel aspect ratio by selecting Interpret Footage.

• 3. Re: How to match two different std res widescreen cameras
              jimcarls Level 1

Would they appear squished immediately after capturing, or is there a

possibility of this happening during export? That clip /does/ appear

"normal" after capture except for the black frame around it, and the

image within the "frame" seems proportional to the larger "image space"

shown by the project. Do you think it's the pixel ratio that is causing

this? I had a notion that it might be better to try to base the project

on the smaller image and then interpret the larger wide-screen clips

down to it — but I suppose the pixel counts of neither are large enough

to avoid interpolation problems.

• 4. Re: How to match two different std res widescreen cameras

If this was a "real" 16:9 video, I'd say it was the pixel aspect ratio.

But your post led me to believe that you were using video that was masked/letterboxed so that it would appear to 16:9.

• 5. Re: How to match two different std res widescreen cameras
                  jimcarls Level 1

video that was masked/letterboxed so that it would appear to 16:9.

It wasn't done deliberately after the fact, but your assumption may

still be correct. I believe the other camera is a native standard ratio,

but has an option to record from just the portion of the sensor that

approximates wide-screen. During the capture sequence, Premiere Elements

showed an outline in standard proportions with the widescreen image with

the usual black bars at the top and bottom. I expected to see this on

the actual clip after capturing was complete, but was surprised to see

that the wide-screen image was "reduced" within a black frame instead.

To complicate any understanding of what was happeing, when I captured

the videos (from both the first camera and the letterboxed one), PE

displayed a message saying that my camera settings did not match the

project settings, but I could not find any setting that could have been

changed and the help system was no help. What does that message really

mean? Both cameras were DV cameras, not HDV.