3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 1:56 PM by peter minneapolis

Custom Page Labels

Scott T. Parrish

Hello All,

Is it possible to label each page non-sequentially in an InDesign document? I have a document that has product on each page, which each item has it's own SKU. I would like to label the pages in the InDesign document with the SKU number. Some of the SKUs are words but mainly they are numerical up to 7 digits.

• 1. Re: Custom Page Labels
          peter minneapolis Level 4

Have you tried running header text variables to capture text or numeric SKUs that have had a character style applied?

Depending on how they're constructed, it might be possible to use paragraph styles with nested GREP styles to automate applying the character style to the SKUs.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign text variables," "InDesign character styles," and "InDesign nested GREP paragraph styles," without quotes, if you need more information on these features.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Custom Page Labels
            Scott T. Parrish Level 1

Thanks Peter for the response, I should have been more clear. I am trying to label the page number on the Pages Panel so I can just scroll through that and see each page as the SKU for the product on that page, as opposed to 1, 2, 3, ect. I would be content if it was possible to do 1 : SKU, 2 : SKU, 3 : SKU, if that would be the only way possible.

• 3. Re: Custom Page Labels
              peter minneapolis Level 4

Thanks for clarifying, Scott.

The pages in the Pages panel can display section prefixes, so you could make each page or spread a section (Numbering and Section Options, from the Pages panel flyout menu.) However, you'd need to manually type the SKU for each section prefix. PLUS, unwanted extra feature: page numbering isn't sequential from first document page, so you'd need to use one of the fake page-numbering strategies that have appeared on this forum. You'll find at least one if you search Google for terms like "Search Google for terms like "InDesign numbering pages with list of numbers" without quotes. David Blatner's Lynda.com video is the firsts hit.

Perhaps scripting could manage breaking the document into sections of one page, or a spread, as well as naming the section previxes.

You might want to rethink this as a TOC that extracts and displays the SKU and generates the page number. If the SKUs aren't independent paragraphs, you'd need one of the strategies that employs hidden paragraph text on a layer, with a condition, non-printing attribute, etc. Search Google for terms like "InDesign hiding text for toc table of contents," without quotes.

[EDIT]

Sometimes the obvious takes a while to bubble up. Create a GIANT running header text variable for the SKUs on a new layer. The SKUs must have a style for the variable to capture; Single paragraph SKUs can work with a paragraph style variable, or SKUs within other text would need a character style, for a character style variable.

Show the GIANT SKUs layer to track them in the Pages panel, and hide the layer (or condition) when you're done tracking.

[/EDIT]

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Scott T. Parrish wrote:

Thanks Peter for the response, I should have been more clear. I am trying to label the page number on the Pages Panel so I can just scroll through that and see each page as the SKU for the product on that page, as opposed to 1, 2, 3, ect. I would be content if it was possible to do 1 : SKU, 2 : SKU, 3 : SKU, if that would be the only way possible.

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro