6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 10:26 PM by bc-steve

PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images

bc-steve

photomerge with cs5.jpgphotomerge with cs6.jpg

I am trying to create a panorama using 5 images.  I did this 6 months ago using Photoshop CS5 and it produced a nice sharp image like my originals were.  Using CS6 it is not sharp at all, to the point of being quite useless.  If I can't figure this one out I am just going to go back to CS5.

both panorama's were created from the same 5 images, in the second one I just wanted to make it a bit warmer because the white balance in the first image doesn't accurate reflect the colours that I saw.  The second one created in CS6 looks really bad.  Has anyone else been experiencing this?  And are there any solutions besides scrapping CS6 in favour of CS5?

Thanks

• 1. Re: PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images
          bc-steve Level 1

those images are of course just a small section of the panorama I cut out to illustrate the problem.  the original is much larger.

• 2. Re: PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Your second image looks motion-blurred and/or blurred because of lens issues.

Were there multiple exposures from which Photomerge could have chosen that particular section of the image?  I ask because it looks like the noise pattern is completely different in the one than the other.  I'm guessing it chose differently which shot to use for that area.

Are these converted directly from raw files during the Photomerge?

I don't know what to suggest except perhaps dialing in more noise reduction in the raw converter and seeing if that will help Photoshop to pick the sharper of multiple overlapping areas.

-Noel

P.S., For what it's worth, I've been doing Photomerges in Photoshop CS6 today and not having any problems with sharpness.

• 3. Re: PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images
              bc-steve Level 1

They were both created by using the exact same RAW files so it is not possible that is a lens issue (all I changed in the RAW files was the temperature and tint).  I only took that set of pictures once so it is not possible I accidentally used the wrong ones.

I also tried to use .TIFF files with some sharpening, but with no change in result. 

• 4. Re: PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images
                bc-steve Level 1

ok I used photomerge to create a panorama in CS6 using the same images (entirely different from the terra cotta warrior pictures above, another set of pictures I took a month later) I used to do the same in CS5 and with those images I am getting good results.

with the terra cotta warriors above though it just looks terrible even though the images I am using look great.  I suppose I could put CS5 back on my computer, do this one photomerge, and then take it off?  It seems like there should be a better solution though ...

bit of a weird frustrating problem ...

• 5. Re: PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Steve, the deal is that you have two or more images that have the particular section of the subject material in them, and the different versions of Photoshop for whatever reason chose to use different ones in the stitch.

My theory is that Photoshop CS6 has become confused by the noise in the image and thinks the one that's actually blurrier is just as sharp and has gone ahead and used it.

Try the noise reduction thing I mentioned.

If you want to make the original files available I can look into it further for you and may be able to find another workaround.

-Noel

• 6. Re: PHOTOMERGE in CS6 is not producing sharp images
                    bc-steve Level 1

Noise reduction doesn't work.  Looking closer at the source images I can see that one of them is a little out of focus.  I can see that is using a lot of the out of focus file and not very much of its in-focus neighbours.  Is there a way to get it to get photomerge to give a high priority to the neighbouring image files or a low priority to the one that has problems?

Thanks for your help by the way.