8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 3:25 AM by Roei Tzoref Branched to a new discussion.

Reconnecting a renamed PSD

Navarro Parker Level 3

I've imported a layered PSD as a comp. The linked PSD has been renamed. After Effects says it can't find any layers.

If the PSD was named the same, but moved to a different directory, AE would auto-find all the other missing layers once I succesfully re-linked one layer.

However, if I change the name of the PSD, AE gets all dumb. I reconnect one layer, but it's not smart enough to update the rest of the missing layers. (Even tho the structure of the PSD hasn't changed one bit). I have to relink each and every flippin' layer.

Is there a better way around this — whereby I can rename a PSD without having to relink each layer? (which can be hundreds!)

• 1. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best option is to restore the original name for the file. If you're using versions then add the version number to the original file and keep the same file name for production.

• 2. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD
            Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

Just double-click the missing file in the Project panel, and AE will

ask you to locate the missing file. All layers should reconnect

automatically. New PSD layers that weren't imported originally will

not be imported, though, you'll need to to that manually.

• 3. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD
              mondi studio Level 1

Hi Parker,

Have you ever solved this issue?

It's driving me nuts to have to reconnect my 201 layers by hand...

There must be a way. Yes My PSD file was renamed and also changed locations...

Thanks in advance

Joao

• 4. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

like Rick suggested, if you rename your psd file to the original name, all your layers will be re-linked as soon as you click on one missing layer twice in the project panel and find the missing file. you can see what the file was called in the missing footage name.

if you renamed your source layer you can find it under path:

now remember never to rename your multilayered files after your imported them.

• 5. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD
                  mondi studio Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I'll keep that in mind.

But this time it had to be renamed as for some reason the file didn't have an extension (it was a psd) - which was causing problems to reopen it in some of the computers (the project is being shared on dropbox).

I just found a solution while searching on the web - using this script from Lloyd Alvarez - which is quite handy. It worked as a charm.

Batch Search-n-Replace Paths - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD

thanks for sharing what worked for you.

for some reason the file didn't have an extension (it was a psd)

if you don't see an extension this is probably because on windows system the default is to hide it. on Mac systems there's probably a similar thing.

from looking and examining batch search n replace script it looks to me that it's a way to change file paths for a project so it will only solve the path's location but not the file renaming. but I found a thread that suggests it can so I am confused. also found this in the comments

if you have managed to direct Ae to a new renamed multi-layered file after it has gone missing please specify the steps with taken with this script.

• 7. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD
                      mondi studio Level 1

Hi,

In my example the original file that was missing (because it changed location and file name) had the example path:

/Users/Computer01/LocalDisk/ProjectX/01 Animation/OfficeScene-V02

But after fixing the extension file not being written and using the file via dropbox we had the file path:

/Users/Computer02/Dropbox/ProjectX/01 Animation/OfficeScene-V02.psd

The photoshop file was still the same - same number of layers with the same name, but it contained 200 of them.

So instead of relinking each individual layer I've used the Batch Search n'replace script to change the photoshop file path.

First looking for the word Computer01 and swapping it for the Computer02 -

Second looking for the word LocalDisk and changing it to Dropbox and at last

looking for the file original file name, OfficeScene-V02 and changing it for OfficeScene-V02.psd

In the end it change the file path of the psd file that after effects was looking for to the one I wanted after effects to look for which fixed the missing links of 200 layers in one go!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Joao

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD

Got it. it worked. thanks for sharing